pickup comparison videos (EMG vs Fishman)

c_tecks

Hi,

I've done some video's in the past for fun on YouTube.

This is the EMG 81 vs Fishman Fluence (modern alnico)

and this is one more recently of 4 different active pickups:

I'd like to take it a step further and more serious and would love to know what you think about these comparison video's.
What do you like/dislike? Any suggestions, perhaps about what I should play, etc... ?

Also, what are your thoughts on the whole EMG vs Fishman pickups 'war'?
A lot of people that used to play only EMG's are now using Fishman pickups a lot.

Pricewise the Fishman pickups are almost double the price, but do you think they're really worth the extra amount of money?
EMG's don't have two voices like the Fishman pickups, but is it necessary?

I personally don't think the second voices on Fishman pickups are that magnificent or have that 'passive' sound like they claim.
They sound maybe a bit warmer then their normal voicinng, but still a lot like an active pickup similar to an EMG.
Still, they sound amazing and I both like my EMG's and Fishmans.

I just put the Fishman Devin Townsend set in one of my guitars and I fucking LOVE them. I haven’t played active pickups for almost 20 years, so it was a pretty big change. The DT set has 3 sounds, active/classic/split coil + classic and they all sound different enough that when double tracking/layering guitars, I can just switch between Active/Classic for enough of a tonal difference that I don’t need to switch amps/guitars for a different flavor.

EMG’s always had this annoying upper mid/treble frequency that I didn’t jive with. I couldn’t figure out if I wanted actives or passives when changing pickups, so this gives me the best of both worlds. The exact stuff I didn’t like about EMG’s isn’t present with the Fishman’s. I know the DT’s are voiced a little darker than the Moderns, at least that’s what I picked up from all the comparison vids I watched.

Crazy high output, too. I had the input on my AxeFX cranked up pretty high, but realized last night it was clipping the shit out of the input so I had to dial it WAY back. I normally don’t get on well with high output pickups, but since this guitar is my chugga chugga metal guitar, it works. Pinch harmonics are effortless!

Back