Jazzy Folkman Got the Blues Jammed Down

This is just a for fun jam, which I titled "Jazzy Folkman Got the Blues Jammed Down", and which is based on a backing track by a guy who put it up on the Everything SG forum:

Here's a thorough extensive and detailed description of the track and the recording procedure:

Jamming a guitar solo over a backing track made by Dale Pietrzak, who shared it on a guitar forum with the purpose of people recording their own jams on top of it.

I think it is pretty obvious from my solo that I am not really into blues, not sticking strictly to what usually would be considered traditional for the genre, perhaps adding a bit more folky and jazzy touch, and a somewhat psychedelic flavor.

Here's the link to Dale Pietrzak's YouTube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChC2Y5 ... W6aS1HbAsg

And here's the link to the original backing track:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrCmWwQMBxU

A quite detailed description of the recording/mixing procedure:

Here's my signal chain for recording the guitar solo:

Epiphone SG Special (while it still had the stock pickups installed) ->
-> Joyo Orange Juice (for overdrive) -> Zoom G1Xon (for a touch of plate reverb) -> Joyo American Sound (used as clean preamp) -> Artec SE-EQ8 (8 band graphic equalizer) ->
-> Peavey XR600B Mixer Amp (set completely flat, using the Monitor Out (line out)) ->
-> Behringer Tube Ultragain Mic 100 (tube preamp) ->
-> M-Audio Fast Track (audio interface) ->
-> Reaper (DAW)

The guitar was copied and split to 2 tracks afterwards, panned about 20% in opposite directions, one of them mixed lower than the other, both having some fairly subtle compression added, but with the track highest in the mix otherwise being left untouched, though slightly more compressed, while the track lowest in the mix were EQ'ed a bit and had a stereo tape-esque delay effect added, featuring a chorus effect and high and low -pass filter, adding modulation to and cutting the lows and highs of the repeated signal, and dialed in with a shorter delay time for one side of the stereo signal and a longer for the other, cross fading back and forth between the two sides.

I also messed a little with the sound of the original backing track, making it sound a bit more to my personal liking, even nothing is wrong with the the original either, by copy pasting it to 4 tracks total and then playing a bit with compressor, equalizer, reverb, some exciter, and even a very subtle chorus effect on one of the copied tracks, as well as I cut the highest frequency content with an EQ of another of the copied tracks and ran it through a bass amp VST, and then panning the 4 differently manipulated copied tracks slightly differently.

All in all it resulted in a slightly increased sense of space when listening to the backing track, making it a little less dry sounding, and a little more pronounced in the high mids/high frequency area, as well running the high-cut track through a bass amp VST gave the bass a slight touch of grid, a bit more attack and definition, and made it sound slightly more lively, though I guess the difference is pretty subtle in the mix anyway.

Other than that I added a bit of vocals as well as a couple of ambient effects, which I created by bouncing out short pieces of the main track, including my recorded guitar, then running them through some effects, including a delay effect with the feedback control turned up really high, then bouncing those manipulated pieces out again, and finally pasting them out on dedicated tracks a couple of strategically chosen places along the main track.

Enjoy! :D

Back