Carr Amps?

J_effin_T

Have any of you guys checked out any of the Carr Amps? I recently downloaded a few Carr profiles for my Kemper and I think they have an incredible tonal pallet. I can play anything from light blues, jazz, hard rock and death metal with these profiles, just wondering if the actual amps themselves are as versatile and tonal as the profiles?

J_effin_T
Miami Florida

I had the Skylark and Mercury V. I liked both a lot at first because they were different from anything else I had at the time.

After a couple years, didn't care for them. Although to my ears they had some of the finest sounding old vintage Fender type spring reverb.

Both those amps were part of my quest for what my ears wanted in a "modern" 6V6 powered amp. Well......actually what I "didn't" want. Up until that search, I had always been the mind that output tube type is only just one ingredient in the sonic-soup of amp tone. I'm still somehow relatively sure that this is just a "me" thing. But there it is. The Mercury V should be the more versatile of the 2. Just after a while, I didn't care for it.

The Skylark had to my ears a more tweed vibe.

I grew tired of the Mercury V quickly. The clean was okay, but driven sounds were harsh and grainy but dull to my ears. I believe I'm the minority on this though. Plenty love for anything with Carr on it from tons of people.

Although must say, after trying several 6V6 powered amps, I ended up absolutely loving the Matchless Laurel Canyon. So much so, I ordered a 40W version.

And as far as the Two Rock. Even my least favorite TR (the Jet 35) was way better sounding to my ears than any Carr I ever played thru. And I tried most of them. All highly subjective.....mind you.

They can keep the 50's-60's retro vibe to the looks too.........yechhhhhhh!!!

Ramblers are great. I’ve owned an Impala, a Hammerhead, and currently a Sportsman. A Rambler is in my future.

Ramblers are great.
I think so too.......just snagged a new one. Got here this past Tuesday.

AYc8H7Z.jpg

Back