Naylor SC38

nbarts

Single channel amp with 5881 tubes. I had it for a few months & then sold it mainly because I needed the money & also because I already had 4 other amps that kept me more than busy. The one I had was from Naylor “Michigan” era, since then the company had been purchased by another person & located in Dallas now & supposedly amps are made to the same specs.

The master volume on this little beast works really well & the light weight of the amp was really cool. I can hear a lot of plexi sound in it, however to me it sounds darker. You can do from dirty cleans to full driven tone on this, not really saturated tone. I really liked the early break-up sound on this thing, full driven tones were very nice & unique. I really wish it had a little tighter bottom end & was a bit more open sounding/hi-fi. Overall, I’d say if you dig Marshall tone & you don’t want to be that loud, Naylor might just be the ticket, definitely worth a try. Gain at lower settings was sounding very much like 101B plexi mode, higher gains reminded me of a boosted Marshall.

That's a very good point you are bringing in. Yes, definitely more compressed.

I've tried the Naylor with Bogner OS 212 with v30. I'm curious how Naylor speakers compare to v30s. Any thoughts?

nbarts":3lnim58o said:
I've tried the Naylor with Bogner OS 212 with v30. I'm curious how Naylor speakers compare to v30s. Any thoughts?

I can't really make a good comparison because my v30s are in a Bog cab and I've only ever heard the Naylor speaker in the 1x12 open-back. So they're very, very different, but a lot of that might be the cab? I know some guys go apeshit over the Naylor speakers but they seem to be hard to find...

nbarts":gv4nla0i said:
That's a very good point you are bringing in. Yes, definitely more compressed.

They're brighter and tighter. They have more of an even sound compared to the mid-hump the V30's have.

Back