Hughes & Kettner Tube 100

nbarts

Hughes & Kettner Tube 100

2 channel all tube amp with 2 modes on each channel. Modes make huge difference, big enough difference that makes you think it’s a separate channel at all. The one I owned had EL34s in it.

Discontinued product, but for the price it can be had used, it’s a great buy. The amp has a loop, built-in reverb & if you find one with optional MIDI board installed, then you have a winner; you can switch between all the channels & modes via MIDI, including FX loop & reverb.

Channel 1 A mode had decent cleans, I really enjoyed these cleans with EVM12L. Kind of Fenderish, I guess. In some way it reminded me a lot of Dr Z cleans, maybe not as sweet as Z cleans, but close.

Channel 1 B mode – you could get some nice tube breakup here as well as some good overdrive sound.

Channel 2 A – rock crunch. I found it pretty boring. It was not bad, but nothing exciting either.

Channel 2 B – lots of gain & compression here, night & day difference compared to A mode. Good for leads or metal riffs.

Reverb quality – useful, but nothing great really.

I was left unimpressed with the power section of this amp, it didn’t have the guts of a good power amp for me, but then I’m comparing it to Diezel & Bogner power sections in comparison to which it shrinks.

Overall – a great versatile tube head for the price, great for a gigging musician on budget.

Back