Epiphone Valve Jr Head

nbarts

I have no clue what people find so exciting in this amp. OK, I do, the price. I bought the amp stock & sold it stock, I didn’t even find any reason to mod this thing. This amp sounded very cheap & not pleasing to my ear, totally outdated thin tiny sound, that some might call vintage, I guess. If someone wanted to replicate one of those cheap sounding records from I don’t know when, the Valve Jr could be just the thing for it.

I’m sorry, but this is not what a tube amp should sound like in my book.
Unless you want to get a case/shell & build a totally new amp in it, it's not worth the price IMO.

What kind of cab did you play it through? While not my Road King II, in fact quite the opposite, but sounds pretty damned good through 3 different 4x12s & an open backed 4x10. Just my $.02...

Tony

I ran it with Mesa Thiele with EVM12L (which was the best one), Bogner Cube & Bogner OS 2x12.

It could be that I'm so used to the sound quality of my Diezels, that it sounds so bad to me.

I bought one of these about a 2 years ago. I got a good deal on it. I modded it with a master volume, high input -low input switch. This thing has some pretty good gain going on about as much as a cranked plexi. It does not have the greatest tone, but switchin different component values and brands of resisters and caps help alot. I got it for $99.99. A great amp to full around with.

I added a tone knob, pull for more gain, 3 way switch for 3 levels of gain, added a heyboer output transformer, and some NOS tubes. Added some Carbon comps, and better electrolytics. Took just a few hours. Mine sounds killer. Compared it to several high dollar low wattage amps, and there were some embarrassed folks. I have about 150.00 in mine total....not counting the NOS tubes...Cleans up with the volume knob, and will get into JCM-800 territory. Sounds amazing with my Landgraff Dynamic OD, and Landgraff boost. Records well, and fun for around the house.

Mine sounds like this... I put about $35 into mine--3-stage gain mod and Fender Tweed-style treble bleed knob. Sounds massive into a 4 x 12 and will cause uncontrollable blinking in disbelief.

Back