Peavey Vypyr 75 Review

I bought my girl friend a Vypyr 75 a little more than a month a go..
The combo amp it replaced was just to noisy for my liking, And she wanted something that she could get some decent metal sounds out of like Pantera and ect..
So knowing that I would be playing on it at her house I replaced it...

I was stuck on the fence between getting her the 75 & 30 because they are practically the same size and ect..
She definitely didn't need some thing as loud as a 75, and the 30 had a 12 inch speaker also...

How ever after doing some research I had seen there was small glitches here and there with some of the programing and ect..
And Peavey was making up dates for the amps that you can do through the USB which the Vypyr 30 did not have..
So that was the deal maker for the 75..

If you are getting one or looking to get one you also have to check the Peavey site on current software up dates..
You press the 1 and 4 buttons at power up then it flashes which soft ware up date it has so that will help you find out if the amps software is up to date...

It is a decent , fun amp to play through if you are looking for a practice amp or something..
Sounds good enough for messing around in the living room which what it was purchased for..

Now I have to buy her a Sanpera pedal for Christmas..

I played on a vyper 75 while I was at work and couldent bring my own amp.
Bottom line- Good quality cheap solid state amp. Better to get a real 5150 or Classic 30 if those are the sounds that you like.

The digital Effects and the presets are manipulated by a knob. This can be difficult to use or get specifics, as switching between them while playing can be (is) a bitch.

The variety of amps, all great Peavey models are nicely represented, though I have never seen a better A/B example between tube and solid state amps than setting the vyper up next to the 5150. Shows how much you are missing without those tubes, especially above the 1 marker on the post knob.

The eq's work the same as any other Peavey amp, which is nice for a change, Mostly because I know how it works rather than getting some piercing frequency boosted seemingly randomly like other cheap digital amps.

the 5150 preset is fairly convincing. It lacks power, and the bottom end is too accuratly represented. IE its lacking the untamed growl of the 5150. The ability to switch to a classic 30 from a badass amp is nice, and the clean tones are pretty damn well represented.
Peavey, in this product obviously tried their hardest to get it to sound genuine, and they did a surprsingly good job for some of the amps.
Not more than a beginer amp however, I can pretty safely say, even at 75 (digital) watts (LOL).

*old thread revival*

i have a vypyr 100w and love it. its versatility, tone quality and price make up for an occasional glitch here and there. i use most of the amp models from time to time, but the ones i use the most are:

peavey xxx - nice tight low end without that nasty fuzz you get from most metal amps.
rectifier or JSX - when i need that traditional harsh edgy sound
plexi - for most regular rock and classic rock
brit - sounds like an old vox - love it

its a great amp for someone who hardly plays live but records a lot.

Back