Strymon delay gas killer for $50?

thefyn

I got genuinely excited trying out a new Caline pedal given to me at NAMM.

The mic audio cuts out now and then.

As some may know I'm a Caline fan boy. If they sold a fan I'd buy it. So I'm doing Caline month. Next up will be a similar pedal to the one above only it covers 7 types of chorus/flanger etc style effects.

I'll go into more detail on the delay pedal in a future vid during Caline month, to show the other 5 delay types etc.

Even if you take the functionality, build quality, DAC, etc... The tone is nowhere near as impressive as lets say the el capistan. I also feel better buying a USA made product when i can. From what i can guess Strymon pays there employees a decent wage and have great customer support. Just looking at Caline's webpage would make me steer clear. I also find your argument about everyone using strymon pedals sounding the same pretty weak. I just can't imagine the build quality being good and their employees making any money at all. I willing to pay more for all the reasons i stated above. If your broke by a used boss pedal!

mniel8195":cvkh2dyv said:
Even if you take the functionality, build quality, DAC, etc... The tone is nowhere near as impressive as lets say the el capistan. I also feel better buying a USA made product when i can. From what i can guess Strymon pays there employees a decent wage and have great customer support. Just looking at Caline's webpage would make me steer clear. I also find your argument about everyone using strymon pedals sounding the same pretty weak. I just can't imagine the build quality being good and their employees making any money at all. I willing to pay more for all the reasons i stated above. If your broke by a used boss pedal!

All fair points.

Just being made in USA isn't always a cakewalk for employees though. Wasn't Gibson once voted as one of the worst places to work? Plus the Peavey undercover boss show fallout showed the grim reality.

I'm more brand loyal than national loyal when it comes to gear. Your advice is buy USA. I'm British. The average forumite here may be American but there are lots of other nationalities. Plus a lot who get paid less on American shores.

Your "nowhere near as impressive" as Strymon comment is your opinion. I obviously disagree, and think you are overstating the tonal quality of a Strymon. Which is part of the reason why I have no qualms doing vids like this.

Slight factoid adjustment. I mention $30-40 in the vid but the price sheet I had was the wholesale price. So it will be about $50ish.

I just had to delete a comment from a Strymon fan that claimed my video was hate speech.

Hate speech. I didn't bite. Just blocked. My vids will contain good natured digs at some aspects of the guitar community. I did mess up though. At the end I asked "Strymon killer?" when I meant to say "strymon GAS killer?". I obviously don't think the Caline is quantifiable/better than Strymon.

BUT I honestly think Strymon users tone in general sounds overly processed/samey. But it could be my hate for vintage 30 cleans plus some other factors. Seems like most Strymon setups ive played or listened to on YouTube are vintage 30 based and that adds to my pet peeves.

In a years time I think the new trend will be active pickups (fishman fluence) and its trends like that which can start to get samey.

If I hear another high gain head's "clean channel", high output pickups with a Shimverb, vintage 30's through SM57's mic'd in the same position they recorded thier chugs with...

Perhaps I need to have djent cleans counseling.

Back