Gibson 490/498 vs boutique ThroBak Pickups on Zakk Wylde LP

belensky

Trying some other pickups for my Zakk Wylde Les Paul, still can't decide which I like more, gibson or ThroBak.
basically I'm very happy with 490/498, but as far as Clarity and openness ThroBak Is whole other league, but because it's PAF repro, im not sure if it's right fit for my Gibson Les Paul Zakk Wylde, this guitar intended to be most for metal and hard rock.
which one do you like more?
Gibson 490R, 498T – were taken from old Les Paul Custom from 90's
Neck – A2 magnet, 7.8K
Bridge – A5 magnet, 13.8K
ThroBak d*ck Wagner Signature Set
Neck – 8.3K (long A5 Unoriented),
Bridge 9.2K (short A5)

I own the Gibson 498T/490R combination in one guitar and it's staying in there. The Throbaks definitely sound clearer but for me personally they aren't the kind of pickup I'd use in that rig and I use similar stuff. I chased the tone in my head for two years, every manufacturer you can think of....I put in my #1 Gibson LP Traditional. For me, the hands down winner was Motor City Nasty Nasty pickups beating out Gibson 57 Classic+, OX4s, Arcane Triple Clone, Wolfetone Marshallheads, WCR Godwood/Darkburst.

The Nasty Nasty is a vintage hot PAF (9.6k~) but it feels hotter, has huge lowend, all the midrange grind, the harmonics and will go from metal to 70's rock on the volume knob without losing articulation or string separation. Amazing pickups as are everything Wade does. And sounds equally good with my Kemper, Splawn, Boogie Rectifier, Soldano SLO and Diezel amps.

If you have to choose between those two though...I'd keep the Throbaks because the clarity is apparent. Better note definition under high gain from the Diezel, just my two cents :rock:

Back