Controls:volume, tone
Pickup Selector: 3-way
Neck Pickup: EMG 85
Bridge Pickup: EMG 81
Bridge: Gotoh GE103 B-T
Tailpiece: Gotoh GE101 Z-T
Machine Heads: Gotoh SG301-01 H.A.P

Tone – 8/10
The tone of this guitar is a bit peculiar – it’s sort of “cold” and “harsh”. This Angelus is the most sinister sounding axe in my arsenal. Basically it’s a take-no-prisoners & in-your-face weapon which is a great asset for any genre of high-gain music. This is also the case when the sound of the instrument totally tallies with its design and finish. It’s equipped with active EMGs, and I think they do their job perfectly. It’s a great instrument for recording riffs.

Quality of Manufacture - 10/10
Awesome. Period.

Design – 9/10
This is the essence of minimalistic simplicity – no fluff, just stuff. I do love inlays a lot, so I must say that it’s a bit too Spartan for my taste. What I do dig is the black matte finish, for it’s always fingerprints-free and does not have to be wiped and cleaned regularly to look great. Of course, this finish wears off gradually (see the lower portion of the area between the pickups in the photo), but I think it’s OK, because guitars are meant to be played and not stared at.

Functionality and Playing Comfort – 9.5/10
The neck has one of the most comfortable profiles in my opinion. The balance of the instrument while being played standing is just perfect. The access to the higher frets is absolute and totally unhindered. With the body thickness comparable to that of a Gibson LP, this Angelus’ weight is relatively small and causes no discomfort while being played standing. The tone and volume knobs as well as the pickup selector are placed well. Although, in my opinion they could have located the volume knob a little closer to the bridge, because when playing on the high E string I sometimes accidentally turn the knob with my pinkie or ring finger (so the volume edges down).

Flaws
Just one – the control cavity cover plate. Of course it’s great that it’s steel and fits snugly, but, for example, when I need to replace the battery, taking the cover off is a real pain in the ass. It sits so tightly (even without the screws) that I have to use a pin to pry it up. This is something that gets on my nerves.

Bottomline
This guitar is restive. It is not for everyone. But if you need tons of aggressive, harsh and uncompromising tone, this is just the thing.

Samples
You can check out the way this guitar sounds on my debut EP “Rozhdeniye Maga” (The Birth of a Magus) – see the links in my signature.

Its sound can also be heard in the play-throughs of my songs below:

When comparing them to a charvel or something like that, would you say there is a huge quality jump, or just a different flavor? Thanks!

halomojo":21pjscjr said:
When comparing them to a charvel or something like that, would you say there is a huge quality jump, or just a different flavor? Thanks!

Well, I haven't had a chance to try out many Charvels, Questar included, so I don't think I can answer the question in any definite manner. But if compared to the Charvels I actually played, this Angelus HGS is a totally different story. It's just it, and it does not sound like anything else. As far as the quality goes, all I can say is that it's great. I've had this guitar for over four years now, and it's (knock on wood!) the most trouble-free guitar I have in terms of reliability and maintenance.

halomojo":3kqm8edm said:
Yep, they are! I just can't wait to get myself an Orbit. :LOL: :LOL:

A new play-through of one of my songs with the rhythm-guitar parts performed on this Caparison. Thanks for watching! :)

that's a super cool guitar - love the all black simplicity. and Caparison's build quality is one of the best in the world. Itaru Kanno is a master builder, and makes some of the nicest playing guitars I have ever touched.

Back