More recording comparisons...

GearHaven

You should definitely check out this mic preamp if you're into recording heavy guitars. With the Tick Mode ON, it can be really brutal. I must say I like it much better than the API 512C. Enjoy... :D

Hello Argentina!
Sounds good man, I've heard good things about those, especially with bass. Thats the first guitar clip I've heard with it. I actually love API's, its next on my mic-pre list
Carry on :rock:

JTyson":2j4xhdc9 said:
Hello Argentina!
Sounds good man, I've heard good things about those, especially with bass. Thats the first guitar clip I've heard with it. I actually love API's, its next on my mic-pre list
Carry on :rock:

I'm glad you liked it. I was actually really surprised by it -mainly with the THICK mode engaged. Wonderful emerald green PRS, dude!!! That's definitely one of my favorite colors. :rock:

:LOL: :LOL: Thanks.
Its actually faded blue-jean, but its really faded. It dosent even look blue in that pic, it does look kinda green :LOL: :LOL:

Nothing beats the sound of Germanium on guitars, except maybe a Neve output transformer. That's a toss up. It depends on the application. A Neve transformer-based preamp is probably more versatile, but who wouldn't want both options? I use modeling software and have found that when using tape saturation or preamp/transformer models which add high end harmonics, you should generally roll off the highs at ~4.5kHz with maybe a 2nd order (12dB/octave) filter at the end of the chain so you don't get too much high end hash. I hear some hash in the demo, Which could be the digital recording.

Don't get me wrong. The tone sounds great, but check into rolling off highs post preamp distortion. Sometimes that kind of hash can add some nice "air" if it's soft and consistent. It's good to listen specifically for it, because the brain registers it regardless, and will contribute to the listener's overall pleasure or ear-fatigue over time. I took me a while to discover it in my own post amp chain. It wasn't obvious at lower monitoring levels, but I knew something was not quite to my liking.

Back