Friedman BE 100 which version is the best for metal?

Simon Dorn

I mean METAL. The brootal stuff.
I played a (2016 i think) BE 100 at guitar summit germany and i really liked it.
I thought it might not cut through the mix like a boosted Marshall, but it was a lot of fun especially through the Bill Keliher cab ;)
But unfortunately it was a very loud environment. They don't seem to have any noise restrictions at guitar summit. That's good - and bad :D

I tried the JJ as well, but i liked the BE more. The Butterslax wasn't there.
HBE channel, presence on 5, bass on 10, mids on 5, treble on 6 and with the gain on 10 was great. I did not use any extra features. But i have no clue in which voicing it was.

I can get a decent deal on an early BE100 (2.1k€), with switchable BE/HBE and a clean boost (modded by Friedman this way).
I read that the earlier ones are more compressed, which could be good for the brootz and the newer ones are more open which is probably a good thing, if i decide to use a boost pedal.

There's also a discount on the 2016 on reverb. That would cost 3.4k € But i actually don't need the extra stuff that this model offers, compared to the old one. Or, from the same shop a used standard two input BE 100 for 2.75k€

Which one would you get for metal, i mean METAL :doh: ? And why?

Regards, Simon

I've only played the 2013 and 2015 BE100's. Compared to my BE50, those are more compressed and tighter. It was like it always had a OD in front. Then if you used the Sat switch, it was super tight chugg.

I need a pedal to get that tighter chugg with my BE50. However, I can see why fans wanted a less compressed, less polished, more raw sound out of those older BE100s.

I also have the Butterslax (up for sale in the Classifieds), and the BE50 has slightly less gain, but it delivers mean metal with the Sat switch on, and without the Sat Swtich on, you'll need a boost for BE and even HBE to get super tight metal.

Yeah, that too was my impression with the BE 50, listening to clips.
The Butterslax isn't for me.
I think i should take the old one...But i'm still not sure :)

Depends on what type of metal.

For classic heavy metal like Iron Maiden and the likes, any Friedman amp would do the trick in spades, except the Buxom Betty.

If you want thrash metal/death metal and beyond, I would say go for the Butterslax or the JJ100, the BE100 can get close, but it's not as aggressive and brutal.

I have a 2018 BE-100 and it gets PLENTY heavy. Especially with a boost. I keep meaning to make some clips. I love it with K100's for heavy stuff. For me though "heavy" = Vader, Cannibal Corpse, etc.

Thanks for your replies!
The Gen 1 Two Input Model arrived yesterday, but unfortunately it did not like my EMG 81s. It had that annoying click attack. A booster helped, but it came nowhere near my heavily boosted 2-channel dual recs. That's as Cannibal Corpse as it can get. With a different Booster in the Vintage channel you get instant Slayer sound. I have a REV F and a REV G at the moment and i think i should simply keep and use them and stop looking around for other amps.
Especially after watching this :D

I used to use Line 6 stuff and the Insane Modell too. It works without a lot of headaches ;)
Starts at min.: 9:00
I thought that V30MFs fit the amp better than the K100s. I have both.
Sat had a slower response and i didn't like the texture/structure of the gain.
Overall it has that boutique sound thing going on, which reminds me of Bogner, but it's a bit flat, dry and sterile and compressed.
I did really like the latest Version, when i tried it with passives at guitar summit, but here it did not work for me.
And i really liked the Mark Day clip with the BE100

Just enjoy what you have and like!
Best Regards,
Simon

My brother just got a new one. With the most extreme “s” switch setting, it started to do some very bright harmonics on E chugs. I’d never heard a Friedman chug like that before. Great stuff

You can play metal with any version of the BE100. But if you ant uber metal tones you can atart to cheking out the JJ 100 or Butterlax

One of my bands is an extreme metal band and i use my 2015 BE100 upgraded to 2016 specs. I have plenty of "chumph", but i have to be careful to not overpower my other guitar players 6505. HBE channel with all voice switches off. Gain about 3 o'clock. EQ's all around 6 sounds gigantic.

Great Thread. Currently looking at a Be 100 (2016 rev) for 80's thrash/hair,rock. MOstly metallica, Anthrax, Maiden, Dio, AIC, Tool, Billy Idol, Zep etc.

atrox":193kkjrj said:
One of my bands is an extreme metal band and i use my 2015 BE100 upgraded to 2016 specs. I have plenty of "chumph", but i have to be careful to not overpower my other guitar players 6505. HBE channel with all voice switches off. Gain about 3 o'clock. EQ's all around 6 sounds gigantic.

Does your mods include the Synergy caps? ...What do you like about the 2016-spec vs. the 2015?

I found the 2015 to do metal pretty great; super tight, a little compressed. It was less raw than my BE50.

Junk Yard Dog":44abhxdc said:
atrox":44abhxdc said:

Does your mods include the Synergy caps? ...What do you like about the 2016-spec vs. the 2015?

I found the 2015 to do metal pretty great; super tight, a little compressed. It was less raw than my BE50.

Yeah it included the new caps. That and the NFB change opens it up a little better. The palm muting is more brutal sounding

Back