JJ JR, Serious metal amp?

UpNortMark

So I have owned about every amp you could think of and am always looking for something new, I am considering my first Friedman amp that being the JJ JR, will it do 80’s metal and thrash? Let me know Your thoughts since some of you have had one for a while now.

I ordered one. Not sure what the wait time will be but I am definitely gonna give it a try. Any recommendations on the boost?

UpNortMark":c5uu7z5h said:
I ordered one. Not sure what the wait time will be but I am definitely gonna give it a try. Any recommendations on the boost?

I tried a half dozen or more with it and they all sounded good (VFE dragon, koko original, ts9, SD-1, savage drive, timmy, more I can't recall) but my favorite boost for any amp right now is the Duncan 805 it led to the sale of about 10 or more ODs.

I don't have a JR. but my JJ 100 can do 80s metal/thrash no problem and with room to spare. I assume the JJ JR. can do the same.

jeff5":1sivopev said:
I don't have a JR. but my JJ 100 can do 80s metal/thrash no problem and with room to spare. I assume the JJ JR. can do the same.

Indeed and I think at least the JJ 100 doesn't even need a boost to do thrash. It's tight enough.

Had it for a couple of weeks and sent it back. Great little amp but it’s a rock and roll amp imo not metal enough for my liking. Admittedly I’ve always been a high gain guy and enjoyed my Boogie Mark series and Engl type amps. It is great quality and very good sounding just not quite what I had hoped for.

You don't even need a boost. I've heard some guys get monster metal tone with the JJ Jr in their recording setups. I had one for a while (but kept my JJ100) and was quite impressed with it. Big sounding amp in small, manageable package. Thumps with a 4x12 better than you'd expect from an EL84 amp. It sat on top of my JJ100 for a while and you can't really tell them apart in a recording.

What is serious metal? Chugga chugga chainsaw or Ja Ja Ja Viuuuu? Metal is different to everyone.
The JJjr is thick and warm not really trash or power metal rather hard rock and modern rock.
Serious metal amp? Peavey 5150 and a Maxon OD808 or a Precision drive. You can get all your metal. 6-700 Bucks.
Da broots don't really need harmonic complexity and overtones, Friedmans are more like that.

The boosts are to shape and bring the mids out, to my ears all Friedmans need one for that purpose if you want to be heard in the live mix

I recently played a JJ Jr through the 2 1x12 cabs. I was really, really impressed. Killer sounding amp, I could see pretty much doing anything from rock to metal with it and with a boost more extreme metal. A really burly sounding amp.

Anyone that cant get a serious metal tone with the Jr is definitely doing something wrong. That amp has more than enough gain to get basically any hard rock to metal tone you could want.

Back