best boost/overdrive for the BE100

Jon BCN

I want to take the BE100 into thrash metal territory. Metallica used a Boss DS1 with their modded plexi for Kill'em All, so I guess that's a safe bet. But I would love to hear more options/opinions/experiences.

The other option is to trade the BE100 for a JJ100 or a Butterslax and call it a day, but I want to explore the boost solution first.

give the SAT switch a try.
i use a pa2 switch from emg for boost on my be 100.
this switch installs on your guitar, works with passive or active pups.

I have the SAT switch pretty much always on.

The pickups of my Flying V aren't that high gainy either.

I use a buxom boost and a bogner la Grange. The buxom adds a little sparkle and oomph to the clean, the la Grange boost gives a little more oomph, the od side gives me the plexi tones on clean but also works well on the dirty channels.

Maybe you should try a parametric Equalizer in the loop or in front of your amp.that was the secret way back in those days.

I just got a BBoost. It's what you need. Damn does it give some really cool options shaping both feel and tone. Maybe those words are not exactly the best choices for describing what your after but it is addictive is all I can say. Very tight! And then you can shape it with the built in eq, as described here and many other reviews. I do not run the boost past 1130 and it is massive. I run the gain on the amp at 1230, no switches engaged on the HBE channel, even with the boost on it's crazy good with the dynamics.

There's more than enough gain in the preamp (even without the sat switch) for Thrash, so I'm assuming you want a tighter response from the low end, and perhaps a bit of an aggressive midrange color.

I would start with a relatively inexpensive basic tubescreamer or SD-1, and then if you decide you don't need the extra boost+grit, but the midrange color is what you needed, perhaps an EQ would be in order. Empress Parametric, LWA Brick, MXR 10 band, boss GE7, etc

If you decide coloring the midrange isnt what you needed, but the added grit or boost IS, perhaps a CAE/MXR line driver, BB, Dunlop EP boost, Keeley katana, etc.

If you want to blend the OD with the BEs gain, as mentioned the La Grange would be a good choice - and a million others. Klone work well too. Whatever flavor, you'll need to turn the gain on the amp *down* in combination with the pedal most likely.

If you don't think the BE on it's own has enough gain, there might be something wrong with it, or you might seriously misunderstand how much gain is being used on thrash guitar recordings.

Reactions: PDC
Buxom Boost is a great swiss army knife - Tight & Boost to taste, EQ in or out as you want. It really covers a lot of ground!

no BE amp experience here, but have a Runt 20

that said, a good eq in the loop can REALLY modify the tone of the amp.

as for boosting the Runt, ive had success with the Overrated Special (bc of its “freq” knob) and the Centura (klone) .

however, both my Runt and the JJ Jr i owned, didnt have a ton of preamp headroom beyond when you got with the gain cranked.

im currently having more success with an Analogman modded GE7 and the Buxom Boost in the loop. the eq to shape and the boost to independently push the power tubes into further volume and saturation. honestly works better than an overdrive to my ear.

Are you using the HBE channel and/or the SAT switch? Do you have the gain structure switch in the maximum position? Are you setting the Voice and Response switches at their most aggressive? Are you messing around with the Thump knob and Frequency switch to tighten up the low end? Are you turning the master up? I own a BE-100 Deluxe (and five other Friedmans) and can't imagine why you'd ever need to boost it; it has a ton of gain available and is very tight if you know how to set it up.

I’ve tried other boosts but always go back to the Maxon 808. It’s worked great on all types of amps and can be dialed so it’s more “transparent”.

I picked up an Em drive on recommendation from a friend but it hasn’t replaced the Maxon.

Are you using the HBE channel and/or the SAT switch? Do you have the gain structure switch in the maximum position? Are you setting the Voice and Response switches at their most aggressive? Are you messing around with the Thump knob and Frequency switch to tighten up the low end? Are you turning the master up? I own a BE-100 Deluxe (and five other Friedmans) and can't imagine why you'd ever need to boost it; it has a ton of gain available and is very tight if you know how to set it up.
He has the straight up BE100. Not the Deluxe.
I been fooling around with a Suhr KOKO boost and find it gives some girth to the tone.

...by the way, you got a pretty impressive list of gear Mike.
:thumbsup:

I think you’re probably needing to boost some upper mids for more aggression. Like already said, the amp has plenty of gain.

I cant imagine more gain or a boost on my be deluxe 100..I play pop,rock,metal,drop stuff ,etc..it handles it all well..and that's with a telecaster...but I guess if u want something different out of it...I think Dave knocked it out of the park with the be deluxe.

I think you’re probably needing to boost some upper mids for more aggression. Like already said, the amp has plenty of gain.
What LP Freak said. The BE100 has all the gain it needs so you are looking a boosting some mids and tighten lows somewhat which is what an SD-1 or Maxon OD808 does.

I would look into maybe a Master Effects EQ from hell parametric EQ or the MOPEQ if you are looking for that tight low end mid-scooped Metallica tone.

The other one I have that I really like is the VFE standout in front of my Splawn modded 2203 turns it into a tight very aggressive metal type of tone similar to Dimes RG100ES tone but more tube like. I still love my my OD 808 and SD-1's though for certain things.

Hi Folks.
I’m reading this with interest.
I have tried a few od’s with the BE100 DLX, sounds great at home volume but seems compress and lose volume at gig level.
Please, what am I doing wrong?
Using Buxom Boost, TC Spark, SD1, TS all with same results in front of the amp.
Many Thanks 🙏

Back