Friedman BE100 to JJ or Butterslax mod?

Jon BCN

I love my BE100, but I wish it could be more aggresive like the BE channel of the JJ100 or the 2nd channel of the Butterslax.

Can it be modded to have a switch between regular BE mode and JJ/Butterslax style mod?

I don't wanna lose the regular BE channel.

There is a 68k/68k voltage divider in your BE100, the JJ has a 68k/100k in the same spot this gives a little more gain/aggressiveness. A switch could be added to to that for you.

Also the fixed depth circuit of the BE100 has a 4n7 cap, where as the JJ has a 4n7 + 2n2 in parallel. This tightens up the low end, a switch could be added for this too.

CrazyNutz":3l90xtbm said:
There is a 68k/68k voltage divider in your BE100, the JJ has a 68k/100k in the same spot this gives a little more gain/aggressiveness. A switch could be added to to that for you.

Also the fixed depth circuit of the BE100 has a 4n7 cap, where as the JJ has a 4n7 + 2n2 in parallel. This tightens up the low end, a switch could be added for this too.

I'm always amazed by how much you know about this stuff. Thanks man.

I'm probably going to send soon my BE100 to make the JJ switch, the Buxom Betty clean conversion and maybe a couple of tweaks more to make it the definitive amp for me.

Junk Yard Dog":9ny3p7in said:
Sweet! I might want to add both of these options to my BE50.

The BE50 already has the 68k/100k voltage divider, one of the reasons why it's more aggressive. You could however add the switch for the Thump/depth control to add the extra 2n2 cap.

Jon BCN":1e2t005l said:
CrazyNutz":1e2t005l said:

I'm probably going to send soon my BE100 to make the JJ switch, the Buxom Betty clean conversion and maybe a couple of tweaks more to make it the definitive amp for me.

No Problem,

If your sending to Dave to make sure to run this stuff by him. I don't know what he offers, I'm just suggesting what can be done.

CrazyNutz":iekldmrr said:
Jon BCN":iekldmrr said:
CrazyNutz":iekldmrr said:

No Problem,

If your sending to Dave to make sure to run this stuff by him. I don't know what he offers, I'm just suggesting what can be done.

I'm from Europe, so I can't send the amp to the states, sadly.

But seems it's posible for us europeans to sent our Friedman amps to Germany and have them modded under Dave's agreement/supervision (?).

I will not order to mod my BE100 if it's not made with Dave's guidance/permission, of that I'm sure.

Depending on what year / version BE100 you have, you may want to check and see where the negative feedback is connected. Later versions moved the connection from the output terminal to the 4 ohm tap on the impedance selector. If your amp is not already wired like this, making this small change makes a big difference toward the tone you're after. It could be put on a switch as well.

fusedbrain":2buvhyjg said:
Depending on what year / version BE100 you have, you may want to check and see where the negative feedback is connected. Later versions moved the connection from the output terminal to the 4 ohm tap on the impedance selector. If your amp is not already wired like this, making this small change makes a big difference toward the tone you're after. It could be put on a switch as well.

It's a 2016 year with the S switch.

OK, you are probably good to go with the NFB already on the 4 ohm tap.
So follow up with the local Friedman shop re Crazynutz suggestions.

Junk Yard Dog":129yw2kl said:
Did you ever get these mods?

No, I didn't.

But allegedly the new frequency switch on the BE100 Deluxe kind of gets you close, so I'm really on the fence to see how that sounds.

S

So rad! I’m gonna do this to my BE100!

Also the fixed depth circuit of the BE100 has a 4n7 cap, where as the JJ has a 4n7 + 2n2 in parallel. This tightens up the low end, a switch could be added
Will this mod to the voltage divider affect the switchable HBE?

I have a NFB pot. Will these 2 mods have any affect on that 2nd mod you mentioned!

Will this mod to the voltage divider affect the switchable HBE?

I have a NFB pot. Will these 2 mods have any affect on that 2nd mod you mentioned!

Ever so slightly since the HBE is just an extra gain stage to the BE.

the two mods I mention bring the be100 pretty much in line with the JJ. You're fine with the NFB pot.

Back