My Friedman JJ and Splawn Quick Rod Recorded Tone

Bad.Seed

Just throwing this up here, my band recorded our first EP this winter. I used my Friedman JJ100 and Splawn Quick rod for the Rhythm tracks, and I'm super happy with how it came out. The Friedman recorded very well, and was really easy to dial in. I can't get the embed code to work on this forum, so here is the link below.

For fans of thrash metal:

https://bushidocode.bandcamp.com/releases
a2103345505_10.jpg

LunatiBSW":3k1u718p said:
You guys kick ass. That was awesome! Nice riffs
Thanks my man!

I see you've got a Slax and a Herbie, I knwo they're different animals, but how does the Slax stack up? I have the Herbert myself, and it's become my favorite amp.

Holy crap! Just hit play on "Benevolnce"... I would wear your shirt! LOL!

Killer stuff. Production is great. Nice and punchy. Tones are awesome. Heavy but not too gainy.

MetalHeadMike":lgjq0n2o said:
Nice man :rock: The QR is one of my all time favorites, and I ind regret selling mine.
I miss your Quick Rod too! LOL!

EDIT:
You guys remind me of Dew-Scented a LOT on that song in particular. That's a good thing. Especially your singer.

Sounds like my kind of metal! You got a real aggresive and steady right hand chug that's dialed in with the bass drum near perfect. Rhythms sound great with just the right amount of gain, not too much. What did you use for solos?

JerEvil":tver1kzx said:

Killer stuff. Production is great. Nice and punchy. Tones are awesome. Heavy but not too gainy.

MetalHeadMike":tver1kzx said:
Nice man :rock: The QR is one of my all time favorites, and I ind regret selling mine.

EDIT:
You guys remind me of Dew-Scented a LOT on that song in particular. That's a good thing. Especially your singer.

Thanks my man, I believe we chatted back and forth about Friedmans and Splawns on facebook before.

Adambomb":j990xb5r said:
Sounds like my kind of metal! You got a real aggresive and steady right hand chug that's dialed in with the bass drum near perfect. Rhythms sound great with just the right amount of gain, not too much. What did you use for solos?

Thanks dude! Appreciate the kind words! My other guitarist is the solo guy, he used a Mesa Mark V, Carbon Copy Delay and some sort of compressor in the loop. That's it. He can rip!

MetalHeadMike":3vlmpplu said:

Same here! I'm selling my backup QR, you should just buy it :LOL: :LOL:

Bad.Seed":330pouw2 said:
JerEvil":330pouw2 said:

MetalHeadMike":330pouw2 said:

EDIT:

Thanks my man, I believe we chatted back and forth about Friedmans and Splawns on facebook before.
Ah right on! Well... I hope whatever I said was helpful! LOL! Good stuff man (the music I mean).

Bad.Seed":2jrulo8i said:
LunatiBSW":2jrulo8i said:
Thanks my man!

I see you've got a Slax and a Herbie, I knwo they're different animals, but how does the Slax stack up? I have the Herbert myself, and it's become my favorite amp.

They are two masterfully built and thought out amps.
I was the first one, since me and Dave came up with the mods, to get the ‘slax modded to my tastes. I’ve seen a couple people copy it also, which is funny cause I was tailoring it to me, my cabs, and gear. I had three mods done. (2) were stuff he did to other amps. Plexi clean on channel 1, and Negative feedback adj of the power amp.... But the third was my idea, and the biggest difference in the gain channels.
The modded slax is prob my number 1. It has a lot of really awesome 3D mids. More punch and thump than most Marshall based amps I’ve played. But the right amounts of it. It has a lot of grind also in certain places in the freq. Which is part of the mod we did.
I also have the 412/15 Friedman cab which really makes the amp shine honestly.
I’ve had the herb for sale actually. But will prob pull it. It does sound awesome, and unique.
No amps sound like it. It def isn’t as bright or cutting as the slax. Has a much different low end that engulfs you. Where the slax stack will knock you into the wall, while ripping your head off :rock:

LunatiBSW":1qgbwnxv said:
Bad.Seed":1qgbwnxv said:
LunatiBSW":1qgbwnxv said:
Thanks my man!

I was the first one, since me and Dave came up with the mods, to get the ‘slax modded to my tastes. I’ve seen a couple people copy it also, which is funny cause I was tailoring it to me, my cabs, and gear. I had three mods done. (2) were stuff he did to other amps. Plexi clean on channel 1, and Negative feedback adj of the power amp.... But the third was my idea, and the biggest difference in the gain channels.
The modded slax is prob my number 1. It has a lot of really awesome 3D mids. More punch and thump than most Marshall based amps I’ve played. But the right amounts of it. It has a lot of grind also in certain places in the freq. Which is part of the mod we did.
I’ve had the herb for sale actually. But will prob pull it. It does sound awesome, and unique.
No amps sound like it. It def isn’t as bright or cutting as the slax. Has a much different low end that engulfs you. Where the slax stack will knock you into the wall, while ripping your head off :rock:

I appreciate the feedback man. The slax sounds killer, especially after the mods you did. Your buzzwords play into my feelings quite a bit.

As far as your descriptions of the low end on both amps, I totally know what you mean with the herbert engulfing you. I feel like my Splawn's low end does what you say the Slax's does, really hits you in the chest, but I've never been fully happy with my JJ's low end. Everyone describes it as a tight, huge sounding amp. Truthfully, I've never felt that way about the lows on my JJ. I even had the resonance circuit modded to have an adjustable value pot put in. this added some lows, but the amp still isn't as tight as the herbert or the Splawn. I'm still trying to figure out what I want to do with it. I love the overall tone, but I really need a tight, chest thumping low push from my amps to make them usable for the type of stuff we play live.

Bad.Seed":33yuuugt said:
LunatiBSW":33yuuugt said:
Bad.Seed":33yuuugt said:
LunatiBSW":33yuuugt said:
Thanks my man!

I appreciate the feedback man. The slax sounds killer, especially after the mods you did. Your buzzwords play into my feelings quite a bit.

As far as your descriptions of the low end on both amps, I totally know what you mean with the herbert engulfing you. I feel like my Splawn's low end does what you say the Slax's does, really hits you in the chest, but I've never been fully happy with my JJ's low end. Everyone describes it as a tight, huge sounding amp. Truthfully, I've never felt that way about the lows on my JJ. I even had the resonance circuit modded to have an adjustable value pot put in. this added some lows, but the amp still isn't as tight as the herbert or the Splawn. I'm still trying to figure out what I want to do with it. I love the overall tone, but I really need a tight, chest thumping low push from my amps to make them usable for the type of stuff we play live.
Dave purposely designs his amps with a little sag.

LP Freak":23hzn0ld said:

I wonder if Dave has any suggestions for tightening the low end a bit and making it a little punchier?

Bad.Seed":1vceiq8s said:
LP Freak":1vceiq8s said:

I wonder if Dave has any suggestions for tightening the low end a bit and making it a little punchier?

There's a thread from a while ago that talked about 6Ca7s hardening up the bottom end and removing Sag

Sounds Good Mr. Bad! A friend of mine has a QuickRod and compared to my BE-100, the QR rips it apart. Peter Diezel builds Great Amps and a great person who's worked with my son (SLO, SP-77, Avenger & Roadster) on a few things along with his Fortin Natas which is Brutal.

DeathbyButterslax":21dg5e58 said:
Bad.Seed":21dg5e58 said:
LP Freak":21dg5e58 said:

There's a thread from a while ago that talked about 6Ca7s hardening up the bottom end and removing Sag

I may go the 6ca7 route in the near future.

Back