Tube info for smallbox

mniel8195

I just had V1 go microphonic on me. While I am in the amp I am going to change out all three preamp tubes. Can anyone tell me what brand and model are used in v1 v2 and v3. Thanks.

When had my Smallbox in late 2015 it came with ARS preamp tubes. I'm not sure what year the Small Box was though

RACKSYSTEMS":3d00vylr said:
Jj V1 and Chinese in the rest

Thanks Dave. I have two Ruby's in it now in v 2 and v3. I have a high gain in v3 I think. Not sure why. Are both tubes suppose to be the same?

Marco 2073":1u14jrx8 said:
In V3 is it necessary a balanced tube ?

No. But some people prefer balanced in the PI, I cant tell a difference, maybe If it was severely out of balance. But at that point I would expect the tube to be rejected in quality control.

RACKSYSTEMS":1mcge1uv said:
What Dave said is almost the perfect tube compliment for all his amps, or atleast it's the best for reliability which is most important for amp designers. Except I never liked the darker JJ in input stage V1.

I know you asked about the stock tubes but think about giving a Tung-Sol 12ax7 a try. Low microphonics, very rugged solid tube. I'm surprised Dave doesn't use this tube as his main V1 for everything. Also a good well tested Chinese 12ax7B like Ruby AC5+'s or TAD's.

I have an old NOS RTF 12ax7 in V1 and Tung Sol 12ax7's in the other preamp spots. I am using a couple Groove Tube EL34M's which are their Mullard "copies" in my Small Box. The amp sounds AWESOME. :thumbsup:

Adambomb":260k3qn2 said:
RACKSYSTEMS":260k3qn2 said:
What Dave said is almost the perfect tube compliment for all his amps, or atleast it's the best for reliability which is most important for amp designers. Except I never liked the darker JJ in input stage V1.

I know you asked about the stock tubes but think about giving a Tung-Sol 12ax7 a try. Low microphonics, very rugged solid tube. I'm surprised Dave doesn't use this tube as his main V1 for everything. Also a good well tested Chinese 12ax7B like Ruby AC5+'s or TAD's.

I have in the past and like them but I can’t get enough low microphonic ones to use without tons of waste. Can’t use them anywhere else as they fail in cathode followers and such.

RACKSYSTEMS":3lod6e3z said:
Adambomb":3lod6e3z said:
RACKSYSTEMS":3lod6e3z said:

I have in the past and like them but I can’t get enough low microphonic ones to use without tons of waste. Can’t use them anywhere else as they fail in cathode followers and such.
I have heard this before about the Tung Sols. I think I first heard it on the Marshall JVM Forum a long time ago. I guess I have just been lucky so far with the few Tung Sol 12ax7's I have bought and used in my amps........ One will probably die on me the next time I am playing in front of a big crowd. :D

Back