Friedman 2x12 vs. 4x12: Whoa...

Junk Yard Dog

I'll keep it short... My friend and I A/B'd the Friedman 2x12 vs. 4x12 last night with the Slax and BE50 (huge props to the BE50--it can definitely hang with the Slax minus the two power tubes).

Anyway, the 2x12 had more 'bloom' in the room, was darker, but slightly more pleasing to both our ears.

The 4x12 had more grain/grit (likely the greenbacks), but less bloom, a little more 'forward' and to match the punch and heft of the 2x12, obviously it had to be pushed more so the amps had to be louder.

This isn't to say the 4x12 doesn't rawk...Rather, the 2x12 is amazing and my favorite 2x12 ever owned. And it's sitting next to a Bogner and Mesa, and I've had many others.

I really wonder what it would sound like if the 4x12 had that narrow port in the back of it??!! I think that is a key factor in the fullness and room-filling sound of the 2x12. I ran across Sound City 4x12 that has a rear port in it's 4x12. Wonder if that could make it too boomy.

Anyone else compared the Friedman 2x12 and 4x12?

I have the BE-212 myself and out of all of the 2x12 cabs I have had over the years, it is the one that I like the most. It just sounds perfect to my ears at least.

PBGas":ee8vc66v said:
I have the BE-212 myself and out of all of the 2x12 cabs I have had over the years, it is the one that I like the most. It just sounds perfect to my ears at least.

Yup. Most are really 'in your face', displeasing when standing in front and get better when you're off axis.

The Friedman 2x12 is really pleasing in front and off-axis.

what is the difference between the ported back and closed back do? I have a friedman 4x12 2-greenbacks,2-vintage 30's on back order from sweet water. im wondering would a 2x12 be better sounding for my BE-100. I dont gig, I just play at home

I had both. I didn't like 212 much. It was dark and too focused like a lazer beam. It sounded good here, but not there.

Back