New amp hunt: Back to the BE-100, or get a Phil-X? Or JJ-100

Soundstorm

So I had to sell my BE-100 awhile back to cover some moving expenses and what not, but now that I'm back on track it's time to get another No.1

First off, I'm a one sound, set it and forget it type of player. I use no pedals. I loved the BE-100 (mine was a 2015), but found that I wanted a less compressed and more "raw" version of that sound (BE channel, all switches off, gain about 6.5). Which I believe Dave accomplished with the 2016 version of the BE.

My question is: Is the BE-100 overkill for my needs. Does the Phil-X satisfy the "rawer-stripped down, open version of the BE channel" that I'm after? Is the gain structure switch on both amps the same? Hopefully the Phil-X still slams and has great note articulation like the BE.

I play grindcore and punk, if it matters.

Grindcore and Punk? Definitely get the JJ100 or the Butterslax.

The JJ100 seems to have more definition, the Butterslax has a particular grain in the gain and is more brutal.

Jon BCN":3fmkcmnz said:
Grindcore and Punk? Definitely get the JJ100 or the Butterslax.

The JJ100 seems to have more definition, the Butterslax has a particular grain in the gain and is more brutal.

Thanks for the suggestion. I should leave out the grindcore part, because it's misleading as far as my tone goes. I usually go for classic punk tones with it, early Poison Idea (which was a 2203) and stuff like that. I put grindcore and people might assume Pig Destroyer or similar, but I try to go with the least amount of gain I can get away with so my pick hand strumming and percussiveness comes through. The BE channel was almost there, but a little too polite. The JJ-100 sounds amazing though, seems like no matter how heavy the gain is everything just comes through. Though I wonder how some old school, all-open no-stops punk strumming would sound with it.

Soundstorm":346boysk said:
So I had to sell my BE-100 awhile back to cover some moving expenses and what not, but now that I'm back on track it's time to get another No.1

First off, I'm a one sound, set it and forget it type of player. I use no pedals. I loved the BE-100 (mine was a 2015), but found that I wanted a less compressed and more "raw" version of that sound (BE channel, all switches off, gain about 6.5). Which I believe Dave accomplished with the 2016 version of the BE.

My question is: Is the BE-100 overkill for my needs. Does the Phil-X satisfy the "rawer-stripped down, open version of the BE channel" that I'm after? Is the gain structure switch on both amps the same? Hopefully the Phil-X still slams and has great note articulation like the BE.

I've had the BE, SB, JJ, SS, Runt 50 and PT.
The JJ is a killer sounding BE channel. I like it better than the regular BE, especially for heavier sounds. Perfect for 80s metal or 90s harder rocking stuff.
The SS, surprisingly, became my fav. The clean channel is better than on the others, sounding much like my DRRI. The gain channel is a bit more open and less compressed feeling than the BE. I love the way it cleans up. It's more vintagey than the JJ or BE, while still having plenty of gain to be heavy. They're all great, and cover the same territory. The SS hits a sweet spot for me.

LPMojoGL":2qrqdxu0 said:
Soundstorm":2qrqdxu0 said:

The JJ is a killer sounding BE channel. I like it better than the regular BE, especially for heavier sounds. Perfect for 80s metal or 90s harder rocking stuff.
The SS, surprisingly, became my fav. The clean channel is better than on the others, sounding much like my DRRI. The gain channel is a bit more open and less compressed feeling than the BE. I love the way it cleans up. It's more vintagey than the JJ or BE, while still having plenty of gain to be heavy. They're all great, and cover the same territory. The SS hits a sweet spot for me.

I've heard that about the SS a couple of times. This is the clip that's kind of sold me on the JJ recently: https://youtu.be/mp626UwAnvU
It's actually more gain than I ever really use, but the amount of clarity coming through and the fact that all the notes are coming through, yet it remains powerful and punchy, is kind of what has me hooked on this one.

I loved the regular BE channel on my BE-100. The one thing I wanted was a more open, raw, plexi-styled version of the BE channel. Which from what I understand is what's going on with the 2016 and later BE-100's. It's very tempting to get the updated BE-100. I don't really use clean ever, if I do it's still pretty dirty and just tends to be a rolled off version of whatever sound I'm on. Still, I wish there was a place I could go and test all these amps out without having to buy first to see how they sound.

Soundstorm":209s8spl said:
LPMojoGL":209s8spl said:
Soundstorm":209s8spl said:

I've heard that about the SS a couple of times. This is the clip that's kind of sold me on the JJ recently: https://youtu.be/mp626UwAnvU
It's actually more gain than I ever really use, but the amount of clarity coming through and the fact that all the notes are coming through, yet it remains powerful and punchy, is kind of what has me hooked on this one.

I loved the regular BE channel on my BE-100. The one thing I wanted was a more open, raw, plexi-styled version of the BE channel. Which from what I understand is what's going on with the 2016 and later BE-100's. It's very tempting to get the updated BE-100. I don't really use clean ever, if I do it's still pretty dirty and just tends to be a rolled off version of whatever sound I'm on. Still, I wish there was a place I could go and test all these amps out without having to buy first to see how they sound.

That JJ clip is what sold me on Friedman all together. I would still love to try a JJ. Tbh wasn’t the biggest fan of the Be-100, it was good just not for me

I have a 1979 Marshall JMP with BE/HBE modded by Dave. It's a 3 channel screamer and not as compressed as the Friedman BE's. It's like a Marshall wet dream. I don't get to use it often enough. I'm in Los Angeles. If you're interested, hit me up.

Rango":ff7uj9sk said:
I wouldn't buy anything for the next 27 or so days..... ;)
This.

I've been gasing for a Bogner Atma and almost pulled the trigger last month. I heard there are a bunch of 20w and lower amps coming out next month at NAMM (by Friedman, Suhr, Bogner, etc).

geetarzan":1pn2xsli said:
I have a 1979 Marshall JMP with BE/HBE modded by Dave. It's a 3 channel screamer and not as compressed as the Friedman BE's. It's like a Marshall wet dream. I don't get to use it often enough. I'm in Los Angeles. If you're interested, hit me up.

Sounds interesting. Any clips? 100 watt?

I had my BE100's filtering changed to Smallbox type values - and had a NFB switch installed. It kept all the gain character but allowed for a more dynamic style. I changed the clean to the SS100/Fender Deluxe values. I also switched to true 6CA7s, biased warm. LOVE LOVE LOVE it.

That clip of Bill is great. SB sounds killer too. JJ GAS re-ignited...

Also, is that Rob in there with him??? If so, then damn he got skinny.

I've never played the Phil X but I've heard its an amazing stripped down head. A bit brighter than the BE100 I've heard. But, I just got a JJ and it's AMAZING. Best distortion I've ever heard. Early Poison Idea kind of tone you can probably get there with any of Dave's amps to be honest. So if you don't care about a clean channel i'd grab the Phil X, you'll be able to find one used for 2k easy. If price isn't an issue and you want more options get the JJ or BE, can't go wrong!

I got a minty JJ-100 with extra MV signed by JC I may be willing to part with.
PM me if interested.
Mo

Ventura":3ehktroj said:
I got a minty JJ-100 with extra MV signed by JC I may be willing to part with.
PM me if interested.
Mo

For some reason my PMs aren't going through and are all in my outbox. How much are you asking for it?

geetarzan":44feojc7 said:

And again here, my PM's aren't getting through to you. How much are you asking for the Marshall? Thanks

Sorry man, was out of town for some family stuff and haven't been on here. I think I'm holding on to it. Going be doing a cover band thing and it's gonna be perfect for that with my 72 Les Paul Custom. They were made for each other. Sorry for the false alarm.

Back