Which friedman amp is for me?

nickdaripper94

Greetings people of the internet!!!! I have recently decided that I hate my kemper (well not my kemper anymore sold it about 10 minutes ago) after about a month of tweaking and messing with it and realizing that to my ears it just doesn't sound or feel like a proper tube amp (rant over). Anywho I am in the market for a tube amp. I have been absolutely gassing for a friedman ever since I first heard clips of them. However there is nowhere in my area that I can try one out at so I am putting my faith into you guys the people of the internet, the friedman fanatics, the all knowing priests of tone. Basically I am trying to decide which friedman would suit me best between the brown eye and the small box. I want something that can take me from zep, to 80's thrash, to 80's neoclassical stuff. From what I've read/heard I am kind of leaning towards the small box due to its more pronounced midrange and slightly more vintage sound. My only question is does the smallbox have enough gain/saturation to get me into perpetual burn territory (I realize I will never sound like jason becker just kind of wanted to give some context as to how gainy I'd like to get). On the other side of the spectrum would the brown eye be vintage enough sounding for me get solid ac/dc, zep, gary moore style tones? I'm having some trouble figuring out which one I want so any input would be immensely appreciated.
Sincerely,
Person of the internet

Aside from a smallbox being a bit more mid forward (to me more like the BE can produce more bass and sheen), I think the 2016 and newer BE is just the way to go. It can handle the 70s classic rock stuff and go to perpetual burn, and then well beyond with the structure switch. I'd say a BE has a lot more bass on tap than anything I heard Becker use, not a bad thing and you can always roll it off.

If you want Led Zep, Gary Moore, ACDC type of sounds, the best for that are either the Smallbox or the Dirty Shirley.

If you want Thrash, JJ100 or Butterslax.

Between the SB and 2014 BE I had, I would choose the SB for what you're wanting and use an od pedal to take it over the top for the higher gain moments. The plexi channel is great for clean up to light crunch, and the BE channel takes it from there up to hot-rodded JCM like sounds. It would be like a 4-channel amp with an overdrive out front. I think of the SB as the DSL Marshall should be making.

The BE I had didn't have a gain switch that current amps have, was quite compressed and seemed to be made for hair metal and hotter tones. I didn't like the lighter shades of crunch with it, kinda thinned out when I rolled the guitar volume back. The newer BEs might be better, haven't played one.

The SS100 is often overlooked in the Friedman line, and is worth a look for what you're wanting. It hits a happy spot between the vintage feel of the Dirty Shirley and the more modern vibe of the BE. It has the BE side of the Smallbox covered, with a boost on the gain channel for the hotter stuff. Cleans up great for the lower gain, crunchy stuff. The clean channel is super clean Fender all the way. Takes pedals great to cover whatever the gain channel can't. Highly recommended if you can try one.

Such a tough choice tbh. From what I've heard clips wise I love how open the small box. However the brown eye would be nice because I wouldn't need an overdrive pedal.

The SB has plenty of gain IMO (I play a lot of Nick Johnson and Intervals material to give you an idea of the tones), but it is certainly not a gain monster. It comes down to whether you are comfortable running a boost pedal in front if you feel you need more gain (won't take much from a boost pedal to drive it into uber tones). If you want the amp to handle all the gain, then consider a BE.

I personally have some tweaks on mine, including a SAT switch because I thought I needed more gain, but I honestly use the BE channel 98% of the time, un-boosted.

RugbyBro":2hndn1ju said:
The SB has plenty of gain IMO (I play a lot of Nick Johnson and Intervals material to give you an idea of the tones), but it is certainly not a gain monster. It comes down to whether you are comfortable running a boost pedal in front if you feel you need more gain (won't take much from a boost pedal to drive it into uber tones). If you want the amp to handle all the gain, then consider a BE.

I personally have some tweaks on mine, including a SAT switch because I thought I needed more gain, but I honestly use the BE channel 98% of the time, un-boosted.
Talked to dave today about getting the SAT switch mod for the small box and was surprised at how cheap the mod was. Think I am going to end up getting a small box and then sending it to dave to mod. Gonna wait till after namm though just to make sure nothing crazy comes out.

Talked to dave today about getting the SAT switch mod for the small box and was surprised at how cheap the mod was. Think I am going to end up getting a small box and then sending it to dave to mod. Gonna wait till after namm though just to make sure nothing crazy comes out.
Update: Just bought a small box of reverb for the killer price of $1750

Heck yeah! It won't disappoint! Yeah the SAT switch is great add for the money. You may also ask him to add a JBE switch as it is just a SAT switch + resonance mod.

RugbyBro":3afeicgg said:
Update: Just bought a small box of reverb for the killer price of $1750

Heck yeah! It won't disappoint! Yeah the SAT switch is great add for the money. You may also ask him to add a JBE switch as it is just a SAT switch + resonance mod.
By resonance mod do you mean he adds a resonance knob to the amp?

I'm honestly impressed with the dudes customer service. Friedman is one of the trendiest amp brands in the game right now yet he responded to my emails within a day. Totally awesome. A lot of people complain about the prices of these things but from what I've gathered his customer service is second to none at least compared to other big names in the game.

By resonance mod do you mean he adds a resonance knob to the amp?

No, fixed resonance adjustment; you can most likely ask for a knob (will probably cost more as it’s probably a different mod all together). It’s a nice alternate voicing to the stock one. It’s subtle, most noticeable in the mids. If you’re going to pay to send your amp in, you might as well ask for it won’t cost significantly more, if at all.

nickdaripper94":1deemg11 said:
I'm honestly impressed with the dudes customer service. Friedman is one of the trendiest amp brands in the game right now yet he responded to my emails within a day. Totally awesome. A lot of people complain about the prices of these things but from what I've gathered his customer service is second to none at least compared to other big names in the game.

Totally agree. I don't know where he finds the time to answer emails.

I love my SB 50.

YRSvES3l.jpg

tlp1234":2248lc9m said:
nickdaripper94":2248lc9m said:

Totally agree. I don't know where he finds the time to answer emails.

I love my SB 50.

YRSvES3l.jpg

crazy isnt it....he must run intravenous coffee....even then, where does he find time!!??
Loving my PT-20.

Back