Friedman Pickups?

LPMojoGL

I see these are available at Sweetwater now.
Has anyone had a chance to try them, yet?

I'm wondering how the Friedman Humbucker Plus would compare to other hotter PAF types like the Motor City 2nd Degree BBs, Detroiter, or Jim Wagner Godwoods.

I'd like to try a pair in my SG anyone know if these pups are best suited with 500k pots, i still have the 300k stock volume pots.

The pickups are open sounding Paf like but with more balls. The classic plus is 8.3k great if you want a open snarly ballsy pickup.

I took a look to Friedman web site pickup ups i didn't see F style bridge Humbucker. will F style Humbuckers be available in a near future?

We currently don’t make them.. we use regular ones in our Guitars.. not really a big deal.. maybe in the future.

RACKSYSTEMS":wvn1x3qz said:
The pickups are open sounding Paf like but with more balls. The classic plus is 8.3k great if you want a open snarly ballsy pickup.

Thanks. Snarly sounds cool.

Sounds a lot like the Gibson Classic +, which is one of my all-timers.

If somebody can make a neck pickup that is open and airy and not just woman-tone, I'm interested.

Rdodson":10j1x8bd said:
Sounds a lot like the Gibson Classic +, which is one of my all-timers.

If somebody can make a neck pickup that is open and airy and not just woman-tone, I'm interested.

Yes!
I’ve found 2ways around this. One is my non-potted, coil-tapped Burstbucker on my SG. Tapping it opens things right up. Second is adding a treble bleed cap on the neck volume pot, no resistor, just a cap. Opened my SD Antiquity up on my LP. With the right value, I can back the guitar volume off and the neck pup gains clarity without ever becoming thin or brittle. Something around 220pf. The volume pot value and wiring also helps things out.

I have the nickel covered humbucker plus bridge coming on Monday. Going in my Historic Makeovers Les Paul pictured below. Currently has a Suhr Aldrich in it. Had stock Custom Buckers before that. My other HM LP has Throbak SE 101+’s in it. Interested to see how the Friedman compares.

I’ve had both the MCP BB2 and Detoiter in the past.

GhLe7fyl.jpg

RedPlated":2vlk5b8m said:
I have the nickel covered humbucker plus bridge coming on Monday. Going in my Historic Makeovers Les Paul pictured below. Currently has a Suhr Aldrich in it. Had stock Custom Buckers before that. My other HM LP has Throbak SE 101+’s in it. Interested to see how the Friedman compares.

I’ve had both the MCP BB2 and Detoiter in the past.

GhLe7fyl.jpg

Cool. I’ve had the Custombuckers and the MCPs, too.
Always wondered bout the Throbaks, but they’re too pricey for me.
Let us know how the Friedman pups work out!

I tend be a fan of mid output pickups like the Duncan Alnico II Pro. I have also bonded well with Gibson 57 Classics. The Friedman pickups fit in well with my tastes. They sound tremendous in my Friedman guitars. Same base sort of tone I know and love from the aforementioned mid outputs but perhaps a bit more aggressive sounding in the bridge and perhaps a bit more open sounding in the neck. If I compare them to the Duncan and Gibson I mentioned, I would say they have a tighter bottom end but retain top end snap (think Mr. Brownstone, that up pick on the open E and B strings at the end of the main riff, it does that well), and these things are really articulate, nothing muddy about them.

I will say I notice a big difference in how they sound in my rear routed Cali vs. the Top Routed vintage S. The Cali has the perfect tone with these pickups, aggressive sounding in the top end but will good articulation in the lows, nothing muddy or too bright, just perfect balanced tone. I find the vintage S doesnt have quite as much top end aggressiveness and has a rounder, less tight bottom end. As my vintage S has a floyd, like my cali, and the pickups between the two are the same, the tone difference I hear is either coming from the addition of the tone circuit or the top vs. rear route. Im not sure which. In any case. I really love the Friedman pickups in my cali, I am pleased with them in the vintage S as well but the cali has some real magic going on...

Installed the Friedman Classic Plus bridge in my Historic Makeovers R9.

The Friedman pickup is KILLER. Totally woke up the guitar. It’s just over 8k but seriously feels about just as hot as the Suhr Aldrich in my other HM. The Friedman has stupid good string separation and bite. I’m ordering the matching Friedman neck pickup ASAP.

Back