PT-20 Tube Rolling

dfrattaroli

What are you guys using in your PT-20s? I have an early version with no switches and the red board. I recently re-tubed because of what turned out to be a bad pre in V3 (PI).

I bought it used and it came with JJs in the power section and ARS in the pre slots. The PI was going bad and causing issues but I re-tubed the whole thing. Fresh JJs in the power section and JJ ECC83s in the pre. I tried an ECC81 in V3 but went with the ECC83s today.

I have other stuff to try but was wondering what you guys may be using.

Right now the amp just sounds so good and feels great. I just lost an hour playing straight in with no pedals and it felt like 10 minutes.

So. What tubes do you all like?

Dave

Honestly, as Dave has mentioned, I would stick with the jj's for power and ARS for pres.....the "JJ pre's" dont hold up as well in the preamp.

The OG Russian 6p14p's, the ones with dirty pins, are probably the finest EL84 you're going to find without spending NOS monies. They are tough as nails too.

The EB/EV/ER/EK versions with silver pins are NOT the right ones. This distinction is vital.

Dr. Z ships them stock with many amps, Ken Fisher used them in Trainwrecks, and Mark Sampson of Matchless recommended them as well.

I replaced the JJ's in my Orange Brent Hinds Terror, and it took that amp to a whole new level.

Master Dave: they are available in sufficient quantity and low enough cost to use as OEM.

Merry Christmas and happy new year everybody! :)

Back