What is the "simple clean"?

maddnotez

Banned
So....I am buying the JJ-20 when available. I have never owned a Friedman amp, only pedals so I have not done much research. This JJ will have the "simple clean" channel. I assume that is something in particular? Is this on other amps? Where can I hear?

lukeburke1":1hg81law said:
Just a volume knob and a 3-way bright switch. No EQ
It's a set EQ, no? Like not adjustable but I'd assume theres some kind of low/mid/high set starting point. I have been wrong about many things though so there's that.

JerEvil":3nq8ruao said:
lukeburke1":3nq8ruao said:
It's a set EQ, no? Like not adjustable but I'd assume theres some kind of low/mid/high set starting point. I have been wrong about many things though so there's that.

Yep. I just meant that there were no bass/middle/treble knobs. The bright switch and volume knob are the only controls that are tweakable for it.

lukeburke1":o21x0cpt said:
JerEvil":o21x0cpt said:
lukeburke1":o21x0cpt said:

Yep. I just meant that there were no bass/middle/treble knobs. The bright switch and volume knob are the only controls that are tweakable for it.

Hmm interesting. On one hand it beats sharing the EQ. On the other, what if it sounds like shit and you need to dial. Oh well, was just curious and thanks.

You could always feed it the "right" eq with an EQ pedal on your pedalboard. ;)

I had a BE-100 with "Simple Clean"....for me, it was the best sounding "clean" of the Friedman's I've owned. (2xBE-100 + 1 BE-50).

Each bogner/friedman I’ve played with the simple clean setup has been wonderful. If tweaking a clean tone is your thing, these high gainers may not be the right amp. But that being said I’ll take a friedman/bogner plexi-esque clean over most amps.

maddnotez":2n6d9q98 said:
Someone said on FB that it's the same clean as the Runt. Works for me.

I heard very different versions of what those cleans are.

The Runt cleans were allegedly based on the Shiva clean.

And the simple clean is allegedly a Vox style clean.

misterspockyall":32ln4k6g said:
Each bogner/friedman I’ve played with the simple clean setup has been wonderful. If tweaking a clean tone is your thing, these high gainers may not be the right amp. But that being said I’ll take a friedman/bogner plexi-esque clean over most amps.

Clean is secondary for sure. I just plan to get this amp either way and wanted some info. A great clean would be a huge bonus but if the amp sounds like Jer's NAMM vids I wouldn't care if it was a single channel. That sounded so good.

The Runt 50 is a straight up fender blackface clean.. the Runt 20 is like a non top boost vox. So just a gain stage into a power amp.. with a 3 way bright switch across the pot and some different values.. works surprisingly well.

Dave, in the JJ Jr, would the "simple clean" match the hi gain volume at higher settings ? And at higher settings would the clean start breaking up at all ?
Cheers man!

Back