small box speaker suggestions.

nickdaripper94

Recently got a great deal on an oversized bogner 2x12 to pair with my small box. While it sounds great I don't think I'm completely sold on pairing this amp with 2 vintage 30's (a little too ice picky). I'm considering swapping out one of the speakers for something else. Any suggestion for a speaker that pairs well with a v30 yet adds a different dynamic to the mix? Something with maybe more of a 70's/early 80's flavor. I play a lot of classic rock, new wage of british heavy metal, and neoclassical style music.

I would try two cream back 65s or one v30 and a creamback 75. My open back Friedman cab has a 65. Sounds huge.

A lot of my clients mix the M75 65w Scumback with the V30 with great results. Adds some more lower mids, less high mid peak, and a little creamier treble. Usually they'll put the M75 on top if that's an option with your cab.

Scumback Speakers":3i5ga7tu said:
A lot of my clients mix the M75 65w Scumback with the V30 with great results. Adds some more lower mids, less high mid peak, and a little creamier treble. Usually they'll put the M75 on top if that's an option with your cab.

I would also try a scumback! I have not switched because I mostly play through the suhr reactive load these days.

M75 all day long. Just realize that Jim's speakers (like the originals) need a little volume to sound "right".

Love the good old cheap chinese greenies...I have a friedman 2x12 I got used and replaced the v30s and think the greenbacks are a great fit if you are looking to remove the spike and also are less efficient so you can turn it up a bit more too!

kojack19":1yvzrol8 said:
Love the good old cheap chinese greenies...I have a friedman 2x12 I got used and replaced the v30s and think the greenbacks are a great fit if you are looking to remove the spike and also are less efficient so you can turn it up a bit more too!
Yeah right now I'm stuck between either doing 2 greenbacks or swapping one of the v30's for a 75 watt creamback.

chadprsman":2mdb0tg3 said:
Is cab new, speakers broken in? I enjoyed the SB with V30s.
I bought the cab used so the speakers are broken in. To be fair I love the small box and it def still sounds good with the v30's I just want a slightly different flavor. V30's sound very hi-fi sounding to my ears and I'm just looking for something with a more classic vibe.

Back