For guys with the "S" switch on front of their BE100

Fret-Shredder

To me GAIN equals more distortion and Sustain and for someone who loves GAIN like I do... would the addition of the "S" switch to the front panel be an enhancement for me or will it effect the amount of GAIN available on the BE and HBE channels. Thanks guys.

S switch cuts gain for better sounding crunch tones. Stock amp without the switch is already at the highest gain level. Do you use the Sat switch?

Edit: should have made it clear that you still retain the stock higher gain in one of the 3 switch positions.

fusedbrain":2r8rjrk1 said:
S switch cuts gain for better sounding crunch tones. Stock amp without the switch is already at the highest gain level. Do you use the Sat switch?

I havent had time to put the amp through all its paces. The amp is actually with Dave right now. Sat is saturation so that sounds like something I will like.

For added versatility the "S-Switch" is a good move, nice to know you have it and if you plan to record it's another option, might inspire you in a lower gain section.

Fret-Shredder":2jmztyvy said:
fusedbrain":2jmztyvy said:

I havent had time to put the amp through all its paces. The amp is actually with Dave right now. Sat is saturation so that sounds like something I will like.

Yes, the Sat switch adds diode clipping, which ups the gain and sustain.
I saw your other thread where you mentioned the mods /upgrades Dave is doing to your amp. One of the things he's probably going to update is the negative feedback circuit, and move the tap from the impedance selector to I believe it's the 4 Ohm tap. On the older models with the NFB on the impedance selector, the Sat mode could cause a slight loss of clarity / cut /punch, but the change in the NFB helps this a lot. My amp has been updated in this area and I think Sat mode actually sounds really really good now.
BE100's are in the top tier of the finest amps ever made. You won't be disappointed.

fusedbrain":10m15rsu said:
Fret-Shredder":10m15rsu said:
fusedbrain":10m15rsu said:

Yes, the Sat switch adds diode clipping, which ups the gain and sustain.
I saw your other thread where you mentioned the mods /upgrades Dave is doing to your amp. One of the things he's probably going to update is the negative feedback circuit, and move the tap from the impedance selector to I believe it's the 4 Ohm tap. On the older models with the NFB on the impedance selector, the Sat mode could cause a slight loss of clarity / cut /punch, but the change in the NFB helps this a lot. My amp has been updated in this area and I think Sat mode actually sounds really really good now.
BE100's are in the top tier of the finest amps ever made. You won't be disappointed.

Thank you. I really appreciate your input.

I think the S switch is most desired by those who think the amp has to much gain. Me personally I had it added and it's a cool feature. The dynamics of the amp and the shift in distortion is so pleasing I've never used the s switch much since having it added. It is good to have if you want less gain and the same punch. I used to live on the sat setting til I discovered I was slightly coloring the tone, seemed a tad raspy. That being said at lower volumes it sounds Fn aswome(sat switch). Since getting a Buxom Boost I dont use the sat switch unless I'm trying to play at lower volumes and I am able to back the gain off and mainly stay on the BE. When before lived on hbe and sat switch. Amp is masterpiece regardless. If you play stuff in open g tuning and classic rock/less distortion on the fly at gigs get it! You'll probably use it. For me I just turn off the buxom boost and the gains at noon on the BE channel so I'm good as far not to much gain for those tones mentioned. Hope this helps. :rock:

Beandust":2lciqerd said:
I think the S switch is most desired by those who think the amp has to much gain. Me personally I had it added and it's a cool feature. The dynamics of the amp and the shift in distortion is so pleasing I've never used the s switch much since having it added. It is good to have if you want less gain and the same punch. I used to live on the sat setting til I discovered I was slightly coloring the tone, seemed a tad raspy. That being said at lower volumes it sounds Fn aswome(sat switch). Since getting a Buxom Boost I dont use the sat switch unless I'm trying to play at lower volumes and I am able to back the gain off and mainly stay on the BE. When before lived on hbe and sat switch. Amp is masterpiece regardless. If you play stuff in open g tuning and classic rock/less distortion on the fly at gigs get it! You'll probably use it. For me I just turn off the buxom boost and the gains at noon on the BE channel so I'm good as far not to much gain for those tones mentioned. Hope this helps. :rock:

Nicely explained. Thank you for the reply.

Beandust":32jex71g said:
...It is good to have if you want less gain and the same punch.
+ 1 That's the reason it's such a cool feature. The original high gain level on the BE channel is, of course, absolutely stellar.
But, if you wanted a really light crunch you had to roll the gain waaay down and the amp lost a bit of the MOJO.
With the "S" switch, you can leave the gain up past noon and just flip the switch and the amp looses NOTHING except gain / distortion.
So now you have THREE levels of gain at the flick of a switch, and all 3 are magic.
Dave's a pretty smart dude :rock:

Digging your thread on Friedman amps and shop! Splawn amps is down the street from me and I've tried a couple and just didn't connect for me. Damn shame, I read how they are very similar in some cases so I must be somewhat deaf lol. Your being close to Friedman makes me wonder. Maybe it's just the logistics that create a sonic gas! Lol. Seriously tho, I should have tried a couple Splawns with a boost or 2 for another take. I think my explanation of the S switch and sat switch ran together a bit. Was meaning I dig the sat switch more at lower volumes after using the BB. Congrats on the Friedman experience!!!

Back