Mesa Recto 2x12 --> Friedman 2x12 = Better??

Waldo Nova

After getting my BE-100 a couple weeks ago, I grabbed a Mesa Recto 2x12. Not very happy with the boomy bass, honkeriffic mids, ice-picky treble. Returned it instead of swapping speakers and ordered a Friedman 2x12 (also V30's). For those that have done this (Mesa 2x12 to Friedman 2x12), were you happy? Did the Friedman cab tame the overbearing frequencies in the Mesa cab?

I may have to swap the V30's for Greenbacks in the Friedman cab, but who knows. There are some aspects of the V30's I like, but they are buried by the bad aspects in that Mesa cab.

Thanks!!

You’re describing the sound of the v30’s more than the cabinet IMO. Although I don’t see a v30 or a Mesa 212 being known for loose bass.

I have two Friedman 212’s and have A/B’d many speaker combinations in them. Two v30’s are probably my least favorite in it. The absolute best combination by a long ways is the one below. They work the best with every amp I own, and I have a lot. Phenomenal tone.

Alnico cream / G12H75

T1WrG8Sl.jpg

Thanks for the info and the pic! The bass isn't necessarily loose, but boomy. I've had several of these cabs in the past for Rectifier amps and it's better with those. Once the Friedman cab arrives, I'll see if it differs any before I order the two. That's the info I was looking for. Thank you so much!

I agree with RedPlated... The cabs are going to be similar construction wise so you are either going to like the V30s tone or not. I would still rather have the FRIEDMAN cab because its a FRIEDMAN cab HAHA!! Just experiment with speakers to get the tone you are looking for. Let us know what you discover. Maybe a M65 Creamback and a Greenback. I've heard people describe the M65 Creamback as a less harsh V30 with nice mids. M65 Creamback combined with Greenback might sound sweet. Cheers. Mike

One would think the v30s are a good match for the be100 seeing that's what's stock in the Friedman 2x12. I've got a Mesa oversized 4x12 w/v30s as well as a bogner 2x12 w/v 30s, always enjoy the bass and the big air these cabs push with my BE100. It has been mentioned the Be100 is a darker sounding amp with tons of bass, I've always loved it with many tone stack settings. Now granted I'd love to plug into Redplateds cab! I have an idea that sounds damn good!!

After years and years of trying so many different cabs, speakers, and combinations of each, I can say that the Friedman 212 with Alnico cream and g12h75 is the best I’ve ever tried. I like it better than any of my 412’s. Tighter and more present. I also like the 212 elevated off the floor a bit. Height changes the character a lot. I’ve literally raised and lowered the cab 1.5” at a time to find the best spot.

I have both my Friedman 212’s loaded with these speakers now. Although one of them I removed the piping and put a Wizard logo on so that it matches my Wizard MTL head.

RedPlated":61udan5s said:
You’re describing the sound of the v30’s more than the cabinet IMO. Although I don’t see a v30 or a Mesa 212 being known for loose bass.

I have two Friedman 212’s and have A/B’d many speaker combinations in them. Two v30’s are probably my least favorite in it. The absolute best combination by a long ways is the one below. They work the best with every amp I own, and I have a lot. Phenomenal tone.

Alnico cream / G12H75

T1WrG8Sl.jpg
Forgive the off topic question but I’m curious why that back trim of your 2x12 isn’t painted. Did you change that wood in the back or have to do a repair something?

Adambomb":2rbhj2tr said:
RedPlated":2rbhj2tr said:

Alnico cream / G12H75

T1WrG8Sl.jpg
Forgive the off topic question but I’m curious why that back trim of your 2x12 isn’t painted. Did you change that wood in the back or have to do a repair something?
Maybe because the back panel is more difficult to remove if it painted.

Adambomb":3ebw28n9 said:

I don’t believe it’s ever been repaired. That’s the way it was when I got it.

If you look closely at that trim, the bottom edge is black. So it’s likely just the way they did it from the factory. LP Freak makes a good point about the back sticking.

RedPlated":1pwaytd2 said:
Adambomb":1pwaytd2 said:

I don’t believe it’s ever been repaired. That’s the way it was when I got it.

If you look closely at that trim, the bottom edge is black. So it’s likely just the way they did it from the factory. LP Freak makes a good point about the back sticking.

Ok I figured it’s was factory after I posted, cool.

We all should know by now ESPECIALLY with speakers and their wooden cabs that every set of ears won’t like the same speakers. I think too much gets to be a “trend”, kinda like it’s the cool thing to not like V30’s anymore and darker Greenback styles are becoming the standard. One of my favorite speakers is a 10’ WGS.

If your just starting to experiment with speakers, then I would suggest WGS Speakers as their made in USA down the road from me, and use with just as quality parts if not maybe better than Celestions are. I spent 3 years doing AB comparisons between all of the best guitar speakers ever made and you’d be SO surprised what speakers sounds best to you when you take away the visual aspects of it.

Adambomb":1zpow5hu said:
We all should know by now ESPECIALLY with speakers and their wooden cabs that every set of ears won’t like the same speakers. I think too much gets to be a “trend”, kinda like it’s the cool thing to not like V30’s anymore and darker Greenback styles are becoming the standard. One of my favorite speakers is a 10’ WGS.

If your just starting to experiment with speakers, then I would suggest WGS Speakers as their made in USA down the road from me, and use with just as quality parts if not maybe better than Celestions are. I spent 3 years doing AB comparisons between all of the best guitar speakers ever made and you’d be SO surprised what speakers sounds best to you when you take away the visual aspects of it.

Oh, I've disliked V30's for years... so, not a trend. My favorite cab is an EVM-12L loaded Mesa Thiele 1x12 paired with another identical cab. What I've been running my BE100 on is an old-school, metal grill Mesa vertical 2x12 w/ two factory EVM-12L's. It sounds absolutely perfect, but is too skinny... unless I tip it on its side, then the head fits perfectly.

Waldo Nova":1jrajgih said:
Adambomb":1jrajgih said:

Oh, I've disliked V30's for years... so, not a trend. My favorite cab is an EVM-12L loaded Mesa Thiele 1x12 paired with another identical cab. What I've been running my BE100 on is an old-school, metal grill Mesa vertical 2x12 w/ two factory EVM-12L's. It sounds absolutely perfect, but is too skinny... unless I tip it on its side, then the head fits perfectly.

We also used those 1x12’s for all the A/B comparisons & studio recordings at WGS Speakers. They had two slightly different old Mesa 1x12 Thiele cabs. We all agreed those cabs made most speakers sound their best. What a coincidence though

Adambomb":2wg40wqn said:
We also used those 1x12’s for all the A/B comparisons & studio recordings at WGS Speakers. They had two slightly different old Mesa 1x12 Thiele cabs. We all agreed those cabs made most speakers sound their best. What a coincidence though

I even put a couple EV's into a Mesa vertical (newer, recto style, not ported) 2x12 and it sounded bad. The EV's in a ported cab... so far, I have not heard anything better (yet).

My Friedman 212 has the V30s in it. They are well broken in and sound great. It is a solid cabinet.
I added some medium sized metal side handles to mine to make it a bit easier to lift.

I am looking to change out the speakers to a couple of Celestion Century Vintage neos to make it even easier to move from gig to gig. I've tried this speaker in a Friedman 1x12 that I had borrowed and it sounded great with my BE-50.

PBGas":ds7f44q0 said:
My Friedman 212 has the V30s in it. They are well broken in and sound great. It is a solid cabinet.
I added some medium sized metal side handles to mine to make it a bit easier to lift.

I am looking to change out the speakers to a couple of Celestion Century Vintage neos to make it even easier to move from gig to gig. I've tried this speaker in a Friedman 1x12 that I had borrowed and it sounded great with my BE-50.

Thanks for the info! I ordered a Friedman 2x12 with V30's so I am giving it a try hoping the cabinet dimensions will "fit" the Friedman better than the Mesa cab with the same speakers. Not sure I want to do the break-in thing and spend that time versus going for the greenback/creamback solution right away.

Back