Friedman JJ100 Mods

Junk Yard Dog

Just curious if anyone has modded their JJ100 with something akin to the DLX. Mine has the MV for the JBE which is essentially for my gigging needs. I love the JBE. I wish the BE has the same 'punch and thump' frequency as the JBE. I add bass on BE when boosting with my Spark Boost, which is gives it a bit more bass for boosted BE jugg.

Wondering if it might be possible to add a 3-way Voice switch, a Thump with Frequency, that keeps the 'punch' of the JBE, but adds it to the BE channel as well? Maybe also a Response Knob or the three-way switch.

If anyone modded their JJ100 beyond the JBE Gain and Volume knobs, chime in.

I've got the BE100 (for sale this week) and the BE50 DLX, and sold my Slax, which was massive. JJ100 is a good compromise to all those amps, imo.

The JBE mode doesn't change the NFB of the amp at all... which is what the punch and thump controls are changing (both actually modify aspects of a depth control). So the BE and JBE modes are the same in that respect. All the JBE does is engages diode clipping and pulls a 470uF cap off the third gain stage cathode of the BE mode. So it sounds like bypassing that cap might give what you're talking about. Putting the cap on its own switch could also give you the ability to have it in or out for both BE and JBE modes... but not sure what the JBE would sound like with it in... might be cool or might be too thick.

The Voice switch on the BE50 changes bypass caps on the cathode follower so should be doable, and would impact both BE and JBE modes.

technomancer":5h42vntu said:
The JBE mode doesn't change the NFB of the amp at all... which is what the punch and thump controls are changing (both actually modify aspects of a depth control). So the BE and JBE modes are the same in that respect. All the JBE does is engages diode clipping and pulls a 470uF cap off the third gain stage cathode of the BE mode. So it sounds like bypassing that cap might give what you're talking about. Putting the cap on its own switch could also give you the ability to have it in or out for both BE and JBE modes... but not sure what the JBE would sound like with it in... might be cool or might be too thick.

The Voice switch on the BE50 changes bypass caps on the cathode follower so should be doable, and would impact both BE and JBE modes.

Awesome. Thanks for that detail. Yeah, the JBE mode has a perfect amount of immediate punch, though I would still like a Thump knob to help bring that depth/resonance in more at lower volumes.

Sounds like the diode clipping in JBE just brings in more of the 'punch', so yeah, I like your ideas to achieve the same punch in the BE mode.

Thanks for chiming in.

Junk Yard Dog":288kn6yk said:
though I would still like a Thump knob to help bring that depth/resonance in more at lower volumes.

I don't want to play UPS-roulette to send mine to CA just for that, but if my amp ever has to go to Dave for repairs I'm definitely having a depth/resonance mod done. It'll move furniture across the room when you get the amp opened up but I mostly play at lowish volumes.

So here is my wishlist for JJ100 Mods:

-JBE Seperate Gain
-Thump Knob with Frequency Switch (I'm still curious what the Frequency switch does)
-Response Knob
-3-way Voice Switch (for BE/JBE)
-Possible to add a switch or a knob to shift the mids of the amp to be 'thicker' like the Slax??

Back