Finally scored a Friedman SS!

• Thread starter Deleted member 3520
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 3520

I finally got the SS, and it is absolutely phenomenal! I’m going to hold off on a proper review for a few days, but I can say that I don’t think I’ve ever felt or played a two channel amp where both channels were completely amazing. Also, it’s looks good! It’s not often that I can get an amp smooth, fat, and on the darker side and keep maximum articulation and cleanliness under higher gain and have it all stay cool and collected. The feel is inspiring and let’s you be as expressive as you want and never feels like you are fighting the amp. The clean channel is far and away to most responsive and pristine you could ever imagine, whilst being broad and huge in the bass, never bloated or messy, always constructed like an audible statue. I am blown away.

Here is a Little Day one jam, terrible recording and a bit sloppy playing, but fun as an amp could ever be.
https://youtu.be/e4fP0fA6nFI

Right off the bat the Friedman’s cleans on this amp are FAR better. Honestly the SS cleans rival an old legendary Fender! I ‘believe’ that was the goal, and it is insanely good.

As for the gain channels, they are both top notch, but I think it depends. The Wizard is edgier and more where the SS is warmer. The Wizard might be a little tighter in the bass, but the Friedman is by no means messy. The Friedman is a little smoother, and plays a bit easier. They actually have a lot of overlap, like...you can get the Wizard smooth like the Friedman, but you’ll lose some dynamics and clarity in the process, vs the Friedman which is crazy articulate under high gain and being smooth. Vice versa the Friedman doesn’t have quite the top end, and replaces a little of the high mid for low and center midrange. If I have to explain by numbers I would say-

Wiz—Bass—Low Mid—Midrange--High Mid—Treble-Forgiveness—Articulation
......6..........5............6........7..........8......Just enough...World Class

SS—Bass—Low Mid—Midrange—High Mid—Treble-Forgiveness—Articulation
....6.........7.............7.........6........6.......Extra Fun......World class

The SS is insanely fat and bold sounding. I think, after a week of owning it, that it is the biggest sound of an amp Ive had. It’s absolutely humongous, each note is like an entire chords worth of weight. It is insane. It is

I like it better than the Wizard in most ways, better cleans by a long shot, and the drive is more unique, but that’s a personal opinion, the Wizard hangs with anything out there!

Back