Friedman JJ Jr. trying to get a VH vibe direct with pedals

romanianreaper

I posted this on the amps form and decided to drop it here for the Friedman fanatics. :)

Gents,

So I had a type of "happy accident" last night while messing around with the JJ Jr. I had my Keeley pedals plugged in and was messing with the clean channel and then moved back to the BE/JBE. I turned the gain way down to about a 2 or 3 and then hit my Keeley "El Rey Dorado" pedal and it took on this percussive tone. I had my Keeley DDR reverb on too. I dropped the gain down to zero on the El Rey Dorado with the level up a bit and started jamming on some VH riffs...sloppy VH I might add.

I haven't played a bunch of these riffs in a long time so sloppy, wrong, etc. but wanted to show low gain with a pedal and some of the other possibilities. I think it has a good VH vibe, especially since I'm actually using a Les Paul with a Motor City 2nd Degree BB in the bridge. I'm sure one of these VH masters could really do it justice:

https://soundcloud.com/romanianreaper/friedman-vh

Sounds killer ! Kinda surprised the Reverb is a pedal, is that in front of the amp or in a loop ? Nice job !

PAULYC2":ewjdj6mn said:
Sounds killer ! Kinda surprised the Reverb is a pedal, is that in front of the amp or in a loop ? Nice job !

Thanks bro! Yeah that is my buddy Rob's latest creation the DDR which has delay and reverb but unfortunately can only use one at a time. That is into the loop which is an awesome loop as others have said!

Mailman1971":25kr59ep said:
Dude. Sounds amazing from the clip on my phone.
I imagine in person it’s amplified by 100! :thumbsup:

Thanks man!! Yeah, I don't know how I'm going to handle it when I hear this thing thru a cab sitting in front of me. I'm sure my head will explode. LOL!

I just spent the morning A/B'ing the Jr. with the MCII and I'll tell ya what, this little 20w bugger is no f#cking joke! It's obviously not gonna have the punch/girth/volume/push the Wiz has, but it is a surprisingly punchy amp with HUGE balls and teeth of it's own!

On top of that, the eq really seems to allow you to add different "colors" to the core tone. Not sure how to describe it...it doesn't just add bass when you dial up the bass knob, it doesn't just add high end when you turn up the presence, but changes the "color" if that makes any sense. Maybe all of Dave's amp's Eqs work that way...this is my first Friedman.

I'd been playing it with the JBE switch to the left since bringing it home which yields a slight scoop in the mids and adds more saturation/compression, but this morning I flipped the switch right and tweaked the eq a bit and it was more raw/open and added a nice bark to the mids which I'm really really digging.

Hell of a little powerhouse :rock:

MetalHeadMike":10m3jjra said:
I just spent the morning A/B'ing the Jr. with the MCII and I'll tell ya what, this little 20w bugger is no f#cking joke! It's obviously not gonna have the punch/girth/volume/push the Wiz has, but it is a surprisingly punchy amp with HUGE balls and teeth of it's own!

On top of that, the eq really seems to allow you to add different "colors" to the core tone. Not sure how to describe it...it doesn't just add bass when you dial up the bass knob, it doesn't just add high end when you turn up the presence, but changes the "color" if that makes any sense. Maybe all of Dave's amp's Eqs work that way...this is my first Friedman.

I'd been playing it with the JBE switch to the left since bringing it home which yields a slight scoop in the mids and adds more saturation/compression, but this morning I flipped the switch right and tweaked the eq a bit and it was more raw/open and added a nice bark to the mids which I'm really really digging.

Hell of a little powerhouse :rock:

Nice! I have the big brother, JJ100 and this is a mod I would ask if Dave could add to it...Somehow, bring in a mid switch or knob or something to make the JBE match that rawness of the BE. The JBE does lose some of that, but you can dial it back in by adding it in the EQ (mids, Precense, Treble), but who wants to do that between songs? I find I play the JJ BE more, and just boost it, but I LOVE The JBE tone and feel as well. Just want a little extra mids and sizzle back. Maybe give it it's own Voice switch, but I don't think it's possible.

Still, I'm glad to hear the JJ JR. is hanging well with the MC II. That's awesome. My JJ100 ended my 100w quest.

Yeah the JJ EQ is so awesome and hard to describe. It is like when you turn knobs up and down, it is not only cut or lift to the specific frequency, you actually hear a different subtle response in there.

Back