4x12 rating

jhullin

I have a Friedman 4x12 with the 25 watt greenies on top and 60 watt V30's on bottom. How is the 170 watt rating calculated? I love the cab but get a bit nervous with a 100 watt head. Thanks..............................Jesse

I always thought a 4x12 was rated at 4 x the lowest wattage speaker in the cab.
That would make your cab a 100watt cab.

Having said that, I wouldn't sweat it too much ....
Guys have been using 100watt heads with greenback cabs for a looooong time.

fusedbrain":agcnjpkl said:
I always thought a 4x12 was rated at 4 x the lowest wattage speaker in the cab.
That would make your cab a 100watt cab.

Having said that, I wouldn't sweat it too much ....
Guys have been using 100watt heads with greenback cabs for a looooong time.

100 watts is what I was thinking too. Can't imagine a 25 watt speaker holding up for too long. I don't mind sacrificing a 25 watt greenie to the rock gods, but lets say one were to give up the ghost, is the OT on the amp at immediate risk? Never blown a speaker in a 4x12 before. Thanks for the input................

Considering the current stage volumes, it is nearly impossible to destroy a 4x12 with only greenies either.

aftec":2sys5c1t said:
Considering the current stage volumes, it is nearly impossible to destroy a 4x12 with only greenies either.
You are correct with the lowest wattage speaker x the number of speakers.

The damage to the amp would depend on how the speakers are wired. Being in series would pose the biggest risk as the impedance would change the most. So that's really the biggest thing.

As far as the speaker blowing or not, I am not totally sure, probably depends on everything from the frequency of the note and volume and how much abuse the speaker has taken.

aftec":19b4gsxt said:
Yeah, unless you're playing outdoor stadiums, you got nothing to worry about :LOL: :LOL:

fusedbrain":bsvby637 said:
aftec":bsvby637 said:
Yeah, unless you're playing outdoor stadiums, you got nothing to worry about :LOL: :LOL:

I'll go ahead and cancel any upcoming stadium gigs just to be safe.................. :)

Back