New Small Box 50

jzguitar

Hey everyone!

I recently bought a new Small Box 50. After a couple of weeks, I'm still not quite bonding with the BE channel. I like the gain and bottom tightness, but I'm looking for a smoother high end (there seems to be a touch of fizz). If I dial back the treble and presence I lose too much definition. I've got a NOS RFT in V1. I'm trying a variety of cabs (1X12 open back, 1X12 closed back, 2X12 closed back) as well as speakers (Eminence Swamp Thang, WGS CL80 clone, Vintage 30, Eminence Governor, Eminence Red Ryder). Also a variety of guitars/pickups.
Any other suggestions? I've thought about bringing it to my amp guy here in Nashville for some tweaking. I really do like the amp but I'd like to dial in that last 10% to get it right where I want it.

Thanks and I'm looking forward to checking out the forum!

I felt the same way. Sounds like your looking for a darkish cutting fusion esq lead tone. Turn the gain down a lil bit then use a boost pedal with some EQ options (buxom boost is killer) I like using a transparentish compressor (something with a blend knob Bogner Harlow was my choice). I kept the treble down and more presence or vice versa.

Alnico Cream is my fav speaker with it. The H75 creamback sounds great too. I used Two Rock 1x12 with it. Loved the tone with the right boost. Klon boost sounded great with this amp too. Tumnus & Archer.

It's the cabinet... get a Friedman cab and you will be plenty happy. If you start with shitty tone straight in, it won't get any better with an boost, eq, etc. Make sure not to get a Mesa 2x12... get the Friedman 2x12 with V30's.

Hmm.. seems a bit unusual for Friedman amps to have a "fizz" to the tone....
Just a thought, but check the power tube bias. If, for some reason it's biased really cold, that could be the problem.
Or, like LP Freak said, may not the amp for you.
Just make sure it's working correctly before dumping it is all I'm sayin.... :thumbsup:

Thanks for the advice! I’m thinking it’s a combination of cabinet and volume. I’ve been cranking it a bit more (not always easy in the house ?) and I’m finding that the louder I get it, the better it I like it (imagine that).
I may spring for a Friedman 2x12 as well.
Thanks again!

It shouldn't have any fizz due to not having a bright cap off the gain pot. Comparing to the BE, The SB is more raw and open (sometimes perceived as brighter) with slightly more bass in the preamp, tad less gain to lean toward the plexi tone. The BE100 has a little less bass in the preamp, slightly more gain and has a smoother top end in comparison. I have both amps and love both but for classic marshall the SB is the way to go. I had this issue a few weeks back with one of my amps (or at least I thought it was my amp) but it end up being how my guitar was setup and brand new V30s.

jzguitar":19z2zmv0 said:
Thanks for the advice! I’m thinking it’s a combination of cabinet and volume. I’ve been cranking it a bit more (not always easy in the house ?) and I’m finding that the louder I get it, the better it I like it (imagine that).
I may spring for a Friedman 2x12 as well.
Thanks again!

I think of tone as the whole (guitar, pickups, guitar woods, strings, cables, amp, cabinet and speakers). The amp cabinet and speakers make up about 70% of the tone with speakers being about 30-40% of that.

I was not happy with V30s with my Friedmans. Don't get me wrong, they work for metal tones. But for me? Not much else. Hate them for middle gain and not fond of them for cleans.

I went through an eminence phase in my leaner financial days but I'll be honest. I think they're not that great. If I'm true to my ears, I prefer Celestions.

Greenbacks? Low power handling and not my fav. A bit dark.

Scumback? Higher powered version of the above. A bit dark.

Finally tried Alnicos. Love Golds and Creams. Creams are a little brighter than Greenback tones, but kinda similar, except with AlNiCo magnets it's just all more there, more sweet, more clear and chimey. Golds are more for those who like V30s but want the real thing, not what a V30 is trying to be (the V30 was designed to sound like an Alnico blue). Creams became my fav but I still have a soft spot for Golds too. Alnicos just sound good no matter what style or level of gain you play. They shine.

Open back or closed back to taste. Myself overall I prefer open back if I want to hear myself better live and I don't want to be always in front of my cabinet.

Back