Smallbox and 2x12 speakers

bsic

Hey all,

Decided to get a SB50, but on the fence about combo vs head/cab. Im primarily a classic rock/80s/90s rock player, not at all into metal.

The stock v30's in the Friedman 212 seem like they would be a bit harsh and perhaps too present, more modern?

Anyone with experience playing the SB through the EXT212, can you comment on how they sound paired together? Would swapping one of the V30 with a greenback help even out the tone?

Or... is the open back combo a good choice with the stock creamback?

Trying them out isnt an option near me, so just looking to get as many opinions as possible! Thanks!

This my my smallbox through a Creamback 65 speakers

I swapped out the headshell of my smallbox for a smaller box made my Sourmash

bsic":2ilnmjra said:
Hey all,

Decided to get a SB50, but on the fence about combo vs head/cab. Im primarily a classic rock/80s/90s rock player, not at all into metal.

The stock v30's in the Friedman 212 seem like they would be a bit harsh and perhaps too present, more modern?

Anyone with experience playing the SB through the EXT212, can you comment on how they sound paired together? Would swapping one of the V30 with a greenback help even out the tone?

Or... is the open back combo a good choice with the stock creamback?

Trying them out isnt an option near me, so just looking to get as many opinions as possible! Thanks!

Have the speakers been broken in? If not, play some Deadmau5 through them with a power amp, full range, big and loud, while you're at work. I'm talking 8 hours a day for a week. Maybe add a Meshuggah album to the playlist, too. They'll be just right by Friday night. ;)

I thought it sounded great through a V30 2x12. The speakers need to be broke in either way, I've not got there with creambacks.

I've extensively used a Friedman 2x12 with a Smallbox and BE100 with both speaker configurations, Creamback M65 & V30 mix and two V30's. Have blasted the speakers many times on stage in a live mix as well as practice and recording in a home studio for the last couple of years and heres my take... The V30's with a SmallBox is the sound of pure ROCK and cut better for classic rock to hard rock. Now for blues, I'd say the M65 & V30 sure wins, but for rock dual V30's wins for me, especially in the mix.

With that said, I would love to trade my M65 for an H75 Creamback and try that V30 combo. I'm sure it would sound amazing as from what I read the H75's frequencies and SPL should be much more suitable with a V30.

Cool that’s great input. I ended up going with a BE-100 deluxe, 2 H75’s in a Metropoulos slanted 2x12 cab. It sounds amazing. Could use a tab more low end. After breaking it in for a few months I might try swapping in a v30 if it doesn’t improve. Or maybe not... will see!

bsic":2pyqcbmq said:
Cool that’s great input. I ended up going with a BE-100 deluxe, 2 H75’s in a Metropoulos slanted 2x12 cab. It sounds amazing. Could use a tab more low end. After breaking it in for a few months I might try swapping in a v30 if it doesn’t improve. Or maybe not... will see!

Very cool looking those Metro 2x12 slants. Have you compared it to any other cabs? I've always wondered how they sound in comparison.

Back