Butterslax or...

clark81

Hello everyone, hope you are doing well! I am about to pull the trigger on a Friedman Butterslax and I would like to ask some things.
First of all I already owe a be100 deluxe, a jj jr, a wizard MTL and a jp2c.
I am looking for a heavier, more saturated sound for my band. I already love every one of these amps and I would like to know if the butterslax will give me something different than the ones above.

Any opinions would be extremely helpful

Thanks in advance

Sounds exactly what you are looking for, played those and slax is the heaviest of the bunch. It’s heavier and more aggressive than the Be100 deluxe

The Slax has some voicing tweaks etc. to work better with the diode clipping, but for an idea of the overall gain & saturation, your BE100 with SAT on is approx what you can expect.
BE mode + SAT similar to Slax ch 2
HBE mode + Sat similar to Slax ch 3
Slax ch 1 topology is unique to the Slax.

fusedbrain":36v52baq said:
The Slax has some voicing tweaks etc. to work better with the diode clipping, but for an idea of the overall gain & saturation, your BE100 with SAT on is approx what you can expect.
BE mode + SAT similar to Slax ch 2
HBE mode + Sat similar to Slax ch 3
Slax ch 1 topology is unique to the Slax.

Thanks a lot guys, really appreciate it!
fusedbrain, what is your opinion between these and the wizard? How is your modern classic compared to your BE?

The Wizard and BE100 are 2 completely different shades of awesome modded Marshall goodness
My BE is a 2015, Mallory caps, lower filtering etc, and is super greasy saturated and a lot of fun to play. I moved the NFB from the speaker jack to the 4 ohm tap to open it up a little bit and it is just an fantastic sounding amp that pretty much does it all.
( note: NFB on the 4ohm is now the stock config, but the older amps had it on the speaker jack. This was changed at the same time they did the switch to Synergy caps.)
There's kind of a feel / note attack / clarity thing that it does that is just magic. All of Daves amps seem to have this quality, but man, that BE is just special. Everything that comes in my place gets compared to it. It's been my #1 amp since it got here.

The Wizard is a cold blooded killer. Punch for days. Not a whole lot of saturation and it will rip your head off. To be honest, it's not that much fun to play, but turn it up and it's just breathtaking! There's nothing else I've come accross that can do what it does, so it stays.

Back