Kt66 for dirty shirley?

Chance terrill":3uqhrog3 said:
But isn't that the only way to get the power tubes saturating?

Yeah, but kind of the point of modern amps is you can get into some sweet saturation via the preamp, and have a lower output volume. Now that being said some people still wan't to get that power tube saturation, if that's the desire, and you don't want your ears to bleed then you're looking at attenuators to lower the volume.
Fryette power station is an excellent chioce, or if you want to go direct into a DAW, or PA then Two notes torpedo is the way.

Well another thing that doesn't happen Is all the harmonics and feedback and overtones..... Thats the best part to me when playing loud..... It just feels different.... I always tend to play the amp just as much as the guitar but when it's really roaring its even more apparent ...... I have to wield the volume..... It becomes more about controlling the amp with my guitar then just amplifying what I'm playing.....I noticed I have to work alot harder to get the most out of my amp at lower volumes..... I gotta dig in harder and really play the shit out of it to really get it singing vs when it's really loud it's the opposite, then I have to work to reign it in cuz all it wants to do is sing lol

Chance terrill":10l362a5 said:
Well another thing that doesn't happen Is all the harmonics and feedback and overtones..... Thats the best part to me when playing loud..... It just feels different.... I always tend to play the amp just as much as the guitar but when it's really roaring its even more apparent ...... I have to wield the volume..... It becomes more about controlling the amp with my guitar then just amplifying what I'm playing.....I noticed I have to work alot harder to get the most out of my amp at lower volumes..... I gotta dig in harder and really play the shit out of it to really get it singing vs when it's really loud it's the opposite, then I have to work to reign it in cuz all it wants to do is sing lol

Yup, I agree with you for the most part. However there are some amp's where the preamp gain gets real close (if not just as good) to what you are describing, at half the volume.

The shirley does a great job don't get me wrong..... My marshall doesnt even come close when it is dimed and the shirleys at noon.... But there is some definite magic with alot of volume.... U can play with less gain and still have end endless sustain..... The note getting fed back through the pickup and back out amp to make a never ending cycle of sustain..... I haven't found another way to make that happen with low/medium acdc levels of gain.... U have to earn it with volume lol

Chance terrill":3jxot3gi said:
The shirley does a great job don't get me wrong..... My marshall doesnt even come close when it is dimed and the shirleys at noon.... But there is some definite magic with alot of volume.... U can play with less gain and still have end endless sustain..... The note getting fed back through the pickup and back out amp to make a never ending cycle of sustain..... I haven't found another way to make that happen with low/medium acdc levels of gain.... U have to earn it with volume lol

Yeah, reminds me of about 20 years ago, in a band we had 150w tube heads. We played the feedback very gracefully throughout our set, and lot during interludes between songs then into intros, and bridges. Very fun

Jesus man..... I've never been any good at controlling the harmonic feedback..... It usually turns into the wrong frequency when I try to get those cool feedback sounds..... But I can make the note last forever

Chance terrill":1w1ir0kh said:
What do u think of replacing the jj in the v1 for an amperex bugle boy?

I dunno, I try to stay away from NOS. I mean most NOS sounds fantastic, I just try to stay away from things that are consumable that I may never obtain again once it's consumed.

So I tried the amperex in v1 n it was awesome but a little bright when lp volume was dimed..... Then I tried an i61 Mullard in v1 and holy shit! Heavens (or hells) opened up and there was my ac/dc back in black album tones in spades! I thought I was hearing things so I put stock jj back in and yeah it sounds great..... But its a little off of the acdc tones I was after..... Maybe a little more flat on the eq response...... Put the mullard back in and there it was again! Thick organic rich and chewy midrange..... Tightened bass a bit..... Sweetened topend.... And enhanced the mid range beautifully...... So i thought man, this is the best tone I've ever heard in my life! But then I remembered you telling me why you steer clear..... What if the tube dies? then i lost my ideal tone that i finally got after years of searching.... (my ideal tone is the sound of Malcolm and Angus playing at the same time with a touch more gain).... So I learned everything there is to know about those i61 mullards and started shopping..... Now I have enough to last me about 2 lifetimes if I play 2 hours a day everyday of my life and live to be 80......which I know some could short or leak or turn microphonic but I now have enough back ups to give me peace of mind. I also have developed a sense of euphoria in knowing that I have indeed found the tone I've had in my head and been searching for/chasing most of my life.....

CNutz":2xl6i5j2 said:
Chance terrill":2xl6i5j2 said:

I dunno, I try to stay away from NOS. I mean most NOS sounds fantastic, I just try to stay away from things that are consumable that I may never obtain again once it's consumed.
I forgot to qoute u on the last post I made..... It was directed towards u..... We had discussed how I was looking at tubes and wanted a bit of that el34 sound (more so the marshall plexi sound).....o left power tubes alone and tried a few different tubes in v1 and the post above explains my findings experimenting with nos glass and cp glass in the v1 slot....... The top three that I really like were the mullard i61 the amperex and the stock jj..... In that order but the stock jj was by far my favorite cp tube in that position (Dave must really know what he's doing lol)..... So all in all my dream amp is a stock dirty shirley with one nos mullard in the v1...... There's literally nothing else I want from it lol..... It literally trips me out everytime I play it now because it sounds so good I just can't believe my ears!

Chance terrill":33xso3it said:
CNutz":33xso3it said:
Chance terrill":33xso3it said:

I forgot to qoute u on the last post I made..... It was directed towards u..... We had discussed how I was looking at tubes and wanted a bit of that el34 sound (more so the marshall plexi sound).....o left power tubes alone and tried a few different tubes in v1 and the post above explains my findings experimenting with nos glass and cp glass in the v1 slot....... The top three that I really like were the mullard i61 the amperex and the stock jj..... In that order but the stock jj was by far my favorite cp tube in that position (Dave must really know what he's doing lol)..... So all in all my dream amp is a stock dirty shirley with one nos mullard in the v1...... There's literally nothing else I want from it lol..... It literally trips me out everytime I play it now because it sounds so good I just can't believe my ears!

Right on man, glad you found a NOS you like, and a stash :)

Regarding the JJ in v1, Dave originally put all ARS/Chinese in all spots in his amp lineup. He later changed v1 to the JJ because it was more consistent for low noise, and microphonics. I think it sound good, but the ARS/Chinese in v1 sounds better IMHO. Also I don't know why, but the ARS labeled Chinese 12ax7's sound better than other Chinese tubes. I order them direct from ARS, I get extras because there will be some that crap out early, but once you weed out the weak ones they last fine.

CNutz":xbomdxar said:
Chance terrill":xbomdxar said:
CNutz":xbomdxar said:
Chance terrill":xbomdxar said:

. I tried those too..... But for my sound those old mullard i61s from 1959-1963 (most of mine are from 62 and 63) are consistent and amazing..... They have

Right on man, glad you found a NOS you like, and a stash :)

Regarding the JJ in v1, Dave originally put all ARS/Chinese in all spots in his amp lineup. He later changed v1 to the JJ because it was more consistent for low noise, and microphonics. I think it sound good, but the ARS/Chinese in v1 sounds better IMHO. Also I don't know why, but the ARS labeled Chinese 12ax7's sound better than other Chinese tubes. I order them direct from ARS, I get extras because there will be some that crap out early, but once you weed out the weak ones they last fine.
i tried those too..... But for my sound those old i61 mullards from. 1959-63.(most mind are from 1962 and 1963) are just super consistent and amazing sounding..... So harmonically rich and made the mid range so rich and sweet..... It just cuts through anything now but in the sweetest most pleasing way to the ear...... Exactly how Angus Youngs tone on the bib album is only I run it a touch more gain..... So organic and rich and 3d sounding...... I can't believe the difference it made....the ds 40 was already my favorite amp but now I swear to u the tones I'm getting are the best I've ever heard in my life..... I literally can't wrap my head around how good it sounds..... I tried several and for my taste its no comparison.... Nos mullard by far

So I'm going tube crazy lol.... I'm addicted to learning about stuff and tubes are my latest obsession, so freakin cool! I recently watched a video on how mullards were made back in 1962 an it was super cool to see my i61s from 1962 actually being made step by step, who knows, maybe I was actually looking at one of mine! Anyways I've been doing alot of research about the sovtek 5881s Dave puts in the Shirley, and like most gear they are super controversial..... Some say they are tone less and they worst tube ever, others say the are super reliable and rugged, some say they love the way they sound as they sit sort of in between a 6l6 and el34..... Which is accurate in my opinion, they don't have the huge lows and scooped character that 6l6s tend to have, and they arnt quite as tight and mid humped as an el34..... They have a bigger bottom then el34s and more mids then a 6l6..... So if u add bass and treble and cut mids on amp you get a pretty good 6l6 sound, if u cut bass and goose the mids you get a great marshally El 34 sound....... I'm loving these tubes because in my Shirley with the mids high, about 90% of the way up, combined with the rich and enhanced mids of the NOS short plate mullard, I am getting amazing plexi sounds out of it.... Just gorgeous..... Yet I can roll guitar tone back and get that brown face early Billy gibbons brown sugar tone as well..... Another really cool thing imo, the sovtek 5881's glow a beautiful deep blue color when they are hot..... And obviously blue sounds better!

Welcome to the addiction :) before you know it you'll be building an amp, and going even deeper!

Man I love ZZ's first album, you reminded me of it with the Brown Sugar reference, and I played that album all the way through today, thanks!

CNutz":fa6f0gdb said:
Welcome to the addiction :) before you know it you'll be building an amp, and going even deeper!

Man I love ZZ's first album, you reminded me of it with the Brown Sugar reference, and I played that album all the way through today, thanks!
It's funny u said that, I've been looking at amp kits and wondering if I'm too dumb to do it or not lol..... And heck ya man zz tops first album is awesome.....that brown sugar tone, and the tone of the back in black album are the tones I was chasing for years and the reason I got the Shirley.... Well tonally speaking anyways, that raunchy smooth yet cutting bar rock type tone.... The Shirley was built for those tones man!

Back