Is SAT Circuits similar to the JJ’s JBE?

Adambomb

I was just wondering if the BE100’s SAT switch was same circuit concept as the JJ amps JBE? I think they both add in clipping diodes and have a volume drop, so this leads me to believe they are similar. I thought I remember Dave confirming this long time ago. No point or objective here, just a question.

Anyone know?
Happy Taco Tuesday
Thank you

Yes.
JBE = BE channel with SAT on.
There are other small differences in the 2 amps / channels, but the SAT circuit is exactly the same.

Sooo...

Question: BE Crunch w/ SAT and BE-100 w/ SAT/Boost

are the same as

JJ-100 Crunch and JBE??

If so, you just saved me about $4K. Thanks! :)

JJ Crunch = BE100 Crunch
JBE = BE100 Crunch w/ SAT on
JJ does not have the extra 12ax7 triode that is engaged on BE100 when HBE mode is engaged. Therefore BE100 can actually do higher gain than JJ if using HBE mode w/ SAT on.
Note that JJ amp has slight voicing tweaks to the circuit in a few places vs BE100, but nothing major. Biggest difference is in the depth circuit. BE100 uses .0047uf cap. JJ uses .0068uf value. It is very simple mod to add a switch to parallel a .0022uf cap over the .0047uf cap on the BE100 to get both sounds.

That info you just posted is GOLD!! Thanks a ton for doing that. It gives such a clear definition to what this features actually are. Thanks again!

Back