Rev Blue Uberschall w/ KT88s

Just got my 2016 Rev Blue Uberschall back from Bogner, and I'm stoked. I had them install a bias switch for EL34s and KT88s, and they put a set of Ruby KT88s in as well. Folks have said it before, but I wish the amp came stock with these.

I've always felt my rev blue was a bit spongy and lacked aggression, the KT88s seem to bring the grind. To me the amp sounds more modern, and is no longer on the hot seat in terms of getting replaced. With EL34's, I went through several methods to force the amp to have attack/upper-mids. The KT88's bring it naturally. Unboosted. Not post EQ'd.

This goes against everything I've read/listened to about tubes (EL34-high mids, KT88 deep bass/high highs). All I know is this is how I wanted the amp to sound when I bought it. It's much truer to the Lasse Lammert youtube vids of his Ubers with KT88s. On this particular Friday evening, I'm loving it.

Congrats! Did you ask Charlie why it took so long! I called them about some work if I sent an amp in and he told me about 2-weeks.

SLOgriff":2mgs1k8l said:
Congrats! Did you ask Charlie why it took so long! I called them about some work if I sent an amp in and he told me about 2-weeks.

I'm sure they do estimates based on RT post counts :LOL: :LOL: I didn't ask afterward, but when I did contact them last month, it was finished and shipped within a week haha. Oh well, I'm still glad I sent it to them for the work. It's super clean, I should upload a pic.

Based on your likes... the Uber Twin Jet would be your huckleberry. It has the KT88s stock and is designed from the ground up for the tighter, focused high gain sound... and is far more tweakable with the added power amp deep/presence controls. Check one out when you can. I'm sure you'd dig it.

Congrats on the mod in the mean time. :rock:

Wizard of Ozz":2b6rrd9e said:
Based on your likes... the Uber Twin Jet would be your huckleberry. It has the KT88s stock and is designed from the ground up for the tighter, focused high gain sound... and is far more tweakable with the added power amp deep/presence controls. Check one out when you can. I'm sure you'd dig it.

Congrats on the mod in the mean time. :rock:

I think you're right (and typically the tones I've seen you applaud are ones I agree with). I passed on the Twin Jet for dumb reasons, but since have fallen in love with the clean on the rev Blue. I'd love to play one sometime, but don't think I'll be making any big purchases for a bit. That bug always strikes when it's cold out :yes:

So today I just decided that I would turn the bass way down because it has an overwhelming amount. I turned it way back to like 9oclock. Holy shit. With the presence knob around 9 as well and conservative eq settings this thing got more pissed off and still authoritative than I’ve ever heard it in person. It sounded like the vids that sold me on the amp to begin with. Straight in. No boost. Passive pickups. Wow. 2 years into ownership and this is like a whole new amp.

misterspockyall":3qy0f86s said:
So today I just decided that I would turn the bass way down because it has an overwhelming amount. I turned it way back to like 9oclock. Holy shit. With the presence knob around 9 as well and conservative eq settings this thing got more pissed off and still authoritative than I’ve ever heard it in person. It sounded like the vids that sold me on the amp to begin with. Straight in. No boost. Passive pickups. Wow. 2 years into ownership and this is like a whole new amp.

Cool to hear. KT88’s have me really curious.

On another subject, I picked up a VFE Dragon pedal and tried it out in front my my Rev2. Using the word crushing doesn’t even begin to describe it. :LOL: :LOL:

Do you have any pics of the bias mod? I’d have to think it’s kinda easy?

I had Bogner mod my Rev 2 with the KT88 switch about a year or two ago, but still running E34Ls. Gotta get around to getting some KT88s in there someday.

misterspockyall":2czs1x14 said:

Nice :rock:

I've got KT77s in my Rev Blue. Amazing metal machine.

Back