Just bought a rev2....wheres the low end?

akamouzis

Hey everyone! so i just picked up a rev2 and was super excited to plug in and hear the massive gain and low end everyone raves about but gotta say im disappointed. It doesnt seem to have any more gain or low end than any other high gain amp i have or have tried( mesa mark 2c+, mk5, marshalls, 6150s etc). does the low end only come out if its cranked?
clips i hear online sound brutal, really aggressive, very tight and articulate on huge low end but mine does not seem to be able to get there.
what am i doing wrong?
i also notice that to have enough high end attack i gotta keep the treble pretty much cranked. ive seen others on youtube with a settings much lower but on mine it doesnt come through until 9 when they are at 6-7.
who has ideas?
also, i know there is a member on the board that had uberschall original modded with an extra gain stage. Did he ever let anyone know how to achieve that?
also other random question but im looking to mod my 2c+ and need a really good amp tech. anybody know who still performs custom mods and is really good at it?

Some things to consider are that clips are clips with many potential factors affecting what you hear on your end. There fun to listen to, but I would not expect to achieve the sound you've heard in a clip. Also, did the clips you listened to that you liked of the Uber list the signal chain? Chances are the player wasn't plugged straight in.

First thing I would try (If you haven't already of course) is a good eq pedal in the loop. You might be pleasantly surprised with the results. From there I would try some sort of boost set relatively clean slamming the front end.

If you just picked it up, do you know how old the tubes are? If the tubes are showing their age, it would definitely affect the sound. Making sure the bias is set correctly would be another thing to consider.

What cab are you using? This can also greatly affect the sound.

Just remember that the tone controls don't work like normal tone controls. There's been a ton written on this, but most importanly (IMHO) is to use your ears and not pay attention to where the knobs are pointing. It took me awhile to get used to dialing mine in. Completely different than a Boogie Mark Series, of course, but about as counter-intuitive and as much of a learning curve.

About your Mk II C+, have you talked to Mesa Boogie? I know they (at least used to) do mods. What are you wanting done?

Hey guys, thanks for the tips.
yes i just picked it up and will be having it checked out this weekend for tubes, bias caps etc. im using a closed back marshall 4x12 1960B lead with 75's in it which ive gotten great low end with in the past.
its true that clips are clips and you gotta take them with a grain of salt.. but it was not only the clips but also the reviews ive read about them... i guess i gotta take that with a grain of salt too.

some of them were running some pedals in front others were not.

as far as EQ pedal i want to get one. which do you recommend?

for mkIIc+, ive talked to boogie and they wont do this mod because it is too close to hetfields mod. i basically want to add another gain stage and i have a rough idea of how to do it because it happened to me by accident as a malfunction once. so at least i know with certainty it is possible. its just a matter of finding someone knowledgable and clever enough to figure out how recreate it. if you wanna hear gain, low end, articulation and over all balls you should have heard the malfunction, it literally makes other high gain amps including the uberschall sound like a Fender champion.....no joke.

You shouldn't have a problem to have a good low end. Like others have said, tubes and bias first. The pickups can be a factor that affect the low end too, it will give the amp the frequencies to be amplified.

My Uberschall Rev 2 had a bigger low end with a Emg 85 in the bridge than the 81, i'm talking about a big difference.

Same same same same same when I bought my new Rev Blue w/ an uberkab. I was so pissed and didn't want to admit it. Even had Bogner themselves mod mine to switch between EL34 and KT88. Pound for pound, my brother's Engl FB100 still has much more bass on tap, and that's with him running through greenbacks lol. My findings:

-They don't do anything magical beyond other high-end high gain amps
-They benefit greatly from a boost to get that attack/presence you refer to
-Eq in loop can work wonders, if you go this route, get one that can handle line level so you don't overpower it when you turn it up. I personally don't run one.

That being said, it is the best high gain amp I've ever owned or heard in-person (compared to marshalls, 5150s, engls, mesas etc.). Alone, it did not produce the super aggressive/massive tone I heard in clips. But when paired with a front boost (i use a Suhr Koko), it gets super pissed sounding. Why I prefer it to the other mid level amps is the clarity. It sounds so much more hi-fi. I am not, however, saying it would be better than a Diezel, Wizard, etc amp of equal or superior quality.

Just my 2 cents on an amp that cost a lot, disappointed me at first, but with some love has become something I want to keep for a long time. Your experience may vary.

akamouzis":1fcwzqur said:
what EQ do you guys recommend?

Ok, you must have old tubes in it for sure because the Rev 2 Uberschall as more gain and low end than any other metal amp on the market. Best tubes i would suggest is all Chinese 12ax7's for preamp and Electro Harmonix 6CA7 for power set at 38ma.

akamouzis":3q4jcb2w said:
what EQ do you guys recommend?

I haven't experimented with eq's, and i'm sure there's many great eq pedals out there. I bought an MXR 10 band about 10 years ago and have been more than happy with it so I've just stuck with that particular pedal. I could not do without it in the loop.

I've owned and still own some pretty well regarded amps, and I'd be less than happy with most all of them without the eq in the loop. Just turns them into the amps they should be, or creates the dimension of sound that I want to hear out of them. It gives me the sound I have in my head but stand alone without it damn near every amp sounds thin, boxy, and one dimensional.

Good luck! I still would love to try an Uber someday and I'm sure with some fiddling you'll get what your after.

how many of you guys have the twin jet or xtc? i heard some clips of the twin jet with that tight sub base response...what do you guys think of it? also realy curious about the xtc's

akamouzis":630xyw1i said:
how many of you guys have the twin jet or xtc? i heard some clips of the twin jet with that tight sub base response...what do you guys think of it? also realy curious about the xtc's

Skip the XTCs (all versions)... not what you are looking for.

The Twin Jet is much tighter... but not as big, thick and wide sounding like the Blue. More high-end cut like a Marshall 2203 on roids. For big bass... the Blue has the most... it just isn't as tight as you'd like it. Which is not surprising.

Also look at Engl: Powerball II, Special Edition.

akamouzis":szkzxhdq said:
Hey everyone! so i just picked up a rev2 and was super excited to plug in and hear the massive gain and low end everyone raves about but gotta say im disappointed. It doesnt seem to have any more gain or low end than any other high gain amp i have or have tried( mesa mark 2c+, mk5, marshalls, 6150s etc). does the low end only come out if its cranked?
clips i hear online sound brutal, really aggressive, very tight and articulate on huge low end but mine does not seem to be able to get there.
what am i doing wrong?
i also notice that to have enough high end attack i gotta keep the treble pretty much cranked. ive seen others on youtube with a settings much lower but on mine it doesnt come through until 9 when they are at 6-7.
who has ideas?
also, i know there is a member on the board that had uberschall original modded with an extra gain stage. Did he ever let anyone know how to achieve that?
also other random question but im looking to mod my 2c+ and need a really good amp tech. anybody know who still performs custom mods and is really good at it?

Reinhold did a lot of experiments with the Rev 2. Some of them have an extra board in V1, it's probably what you're talking about. At some point in early production of the Rev 2, they where all a little different inside.

About modding amps, Jerry (FJA Mods) is one of the best in the business and i'm pretty sure he can do custom mods for you. He's also a Rigtalk member and hangs around here very often these days.

Hey Metal, i tried replying to the pm but im a new member and apparently not allowed to pm yet. so to answer your question. the seller told me it was #335 but on the back it has "triangle triangle star" and to the far right next to vac it silver marker it says 117. what do you make of it?

Haha, that's my old amp! Don't worry, i can definitely help you make it sound crushing. You must have a bias knob outside the chassis near the tubes, right? I ask my tech to do this on the amp for me.

Yes it's Bogner serial symbols, triangle=3 and star=5. The serial is in fact #335.

I sold it last summer, you probably bought it on reverb from the guy i sold it to.

Back