Bogner Shiva Re-Sale Value/Price

brianiac5150

Why are so many (essentially) giving away the Shiva amps?

Most are around $2500 new and people are listing them for $14-1800 AND having a hard time selling them. They're stellar amps and well taken care of models are worth more, IMO.

Mine 20th mostly sits anymore and I've listed it locally for $2000, which is $500 less than I paid for it new and it's worth every penny. Anyone working stages would find great pleasure in these amps. I bought mine thinking I'd put on a stage or two (while I was with a band), however, it's simply too beautiful for me to even effort that...not to mention all the power issues I ran into while playing - on/off power in the middle of songs, etc... which made me happy I was using my Katana. Not having a room in my small house where I can consistently crank it, I've just resolved to the occasional jam while the family's out and typically resolve to the Kemper, albeit the Shiva master is very good and it does low volume acceptably well.

What gives???

It's just the way it goes. I sold my 20th Anny for $1700 shipped, and it was 1 year old and still dripping with new out of the box odors. It's not what you paid or what you think the amp is worth, it's what the market dictates you will realistically get for it, and that is driven by what people are willing to pay period. That goes for any materialistic item on the planet really.

Agree 100%

Still trying to sell mine.

MetalHeadMike":31gkr2mk said:
It's just the way it goes. I sold my 20th Anny for $1700 shipped, and it was 1 year old and still dripping with new out of the box odors. It's not what you paid or what you think the amp is worth, it's what the market dictates you will realistically get for it, and that is driven by what people are willing to pay period. That goes for any materialistic item on the planet really.

My god they're GREAT amps.

Mine was actually broke and sounded better that way. When I first got it, I thought it had way more low end that it should. I played it for about a month, and it had this IMMENSE bass response, especially with the excursion knob up (Obviously...duh!) but seriously it was like Uberschall territory. It sounded absolutely crushing and utterly massive for all things metal.

While playing with the bass knob between off and 9 o'clock, it sounded as you would expected this amp to sound. But bass knob past 9 o'clock and it acted like this crazy bass/low mid ultra boost that also affected the gain character. It was friggin amazing!!

I called and spoke to Charlie at Bogner and described this phenomenon, and he said only thing he could think of was that it sounded like maybe a piece of solder or wire was shorting something out and acting like a jumper between some components. I told him whatever it was, I was actually liking it.

Fast forward a month or so and all the sudden this reaction from the bass knob gradually reduced in effect and ultimately disappeared altogether. I spun the knob back and forth endlessly to try and get it to give me that ridiculously awesome bass/low mids/gain boost, but it was GONE :cry: I was so disappointed in the amps normal/expected bass response that I sold the amp 2-3 weeks later and picked up an Uber Rev Blue :D

Don't know what malfunction gave me those most awesome gain/eq changes, but I called Charlie back and discussed it with him pleading for him to brainstorm a way to re-create it if I were to send it in, but he was at a loss other than to say whatever must have been in there shorting/jumping components must have worked it's way out.

This is a true story based on actual events, and no Bogner amps were harmed during these phenomenon.

I think there are just so many new amps, pedals, modelers and other toys coming out so often that people just don't want a tried and true 10-20 year old amp. The fact that people love to flip gear for something new just means the guy who is the 6th owner of a Shiva (or any other amp) may not have as much invested. If he did it for a trade, even less so. That's why you will have 10 people selling a Shiva for $1700 to $1950, but there is that one guy selling his for $900 because some dude was hard up for cash and sold it for peanuts.

I've had one for sale for a bit myself. I lost my ass on a pair of Dr. Z heads a few years ago using Reverb so I've been holding off. Sooner or later I probably will post them there and get killed with the fees and shipping. Anyhow, I know where you are coming from. By the way, don't even try Craigslist. That place turned into a low-ball flea market.

Back