Helios Mod to.use both channels?

peckhart

It's been a while since I've seen this come up. Just wondering after a few years of the amp now if anyone found a smart tech (or figured it out themselves) to mod the original Helios to allow access to all the channels?
I would love to have instant access to all channels, hot and plexi inputs, at the tap of a foot switch.
I prefer the tone of the original over the Eclipse, which is why I'm asking.

I have a message into my local guy. He is on vacation until Monday, but hoping to hear back next week. If it can be done he would find a way.

Two recent Facebook Bogner Amp Forum posts gave me hope. One guy posted a potential design drawing. Another guy in Italy is selling one that is already modded. It has a push/pull pot that in one position lets the amp function stock, but in the other you have Hot Ch2 with Plex Ch1.
So this is possible. I dropped mine off at my tech today to see what he comes up with.

I got my Helios back today. There is now a three way toggle in place of the Plexi input jack. One position gives the Hot Ch1, Ch2; another gives Plexi Ch1, Ch2; and the third is the money shot providing Plexi Ch1 with Hot Ch2.
I'll make a video demonstrating how it works.

Cool to share this. Definitely adds versatility and gets you from hot mode input to clean clean. I've just acquired this amp couple months ago and was curious with all the post about it being a deal breaker not being able to switch from plexi to hot input on the fly. I didnt really find the amp a problem , it seems the plexi input is a more open less compressed sound vs hot input is more compressed and a big volume drop in 80s mode in the hot input. I didnt find the 2 inputs any more of a work around than the sat switch on my BE100. Volume drop and more compression and more distortion, no you dont have to unplug the input but I doubt mid song if giging I'm going to flip a toggle and goose the MV on the BE100 and then reverse these options after a solo or phrase of sort. My findings with the Helios when running the amp in hot input vs plexi input boosted very close if not identical sounding when boosted. Yet without looosing any volume and having a good crunch channel as well as boosting the clean channel gets early acdc sounds/crunch. My thoughts is thr hot input is for low volume playing hence all the compression, a great tone at low volumes and good feel from the amp. A 100 watt plexi is loud!! And meant to be. Now , when I boosted in hot input in 80s mode it was mush and unusable, as one expects as it's very compressed and distorted already. Curious do you have a rhythm channel so to speak with the mod? If its toggled to hot input your going from 80s to clean as mentioned. I like the mod and curious of the cost, I also like running the amp as mentioned with a clean boost. Tons of gain in plexi input with the right boost..thanks for posting those clips and explaining the mod. Great stuff!!!! :rock:

Hey Beandust, there really is no rhythm channel with the mod in that there are still only 2 switchable channels in any position the new toggle is in. So you get Hot 2/Plex 1, Hot 2/Hot 1, Plex 2/Plex 1.
For my hard rock band I normally run high gain in Hot Ch2 80s mode. Guitar or volume pedal out front down to clean up a bit.
At home, playing more blues and rock that isn't as gained out I do like using Plex Ch 2 and boosting it.

peckhart":25iq4wvs said:
Hey Beandust, there really is no rhythm channel with the mod in that there are still only 2 switchable channels in any position the new toggle is in. So you get Hot 2/Plex 1, Hot 2/Hot 1, Plex 2/Plex 1.
For my hard rock band I normally run high gain in Hot Ch2 80s mode. Guitar or volume pedal out front down to clean up a bit.
At home, playing more blues and rock that isn't as gained out I do like using Plex Ch 2 and boosting it.
Thanks for the help. I am wanting to have this mod done perhaps. It's either that or maybe another pedal at times for a tad more grind on the plexi channel. Its perfect boosted but , the rhythm channel /plexi input is good but a tad more dirt at times would be good.. thanks again!

Back