1969 Marshall Superlead plexi SOLD PLZ DELETE

harddriver

Hey guys I had acquired all these NOS parts over the years and I finally got around to finishing this amp up late summer so it is essentially new with low hours on new tubes amp is broke in with no issues, all caps were reformed using a variac over many hours with contolled voltage to allow them to reform slowly and properly. I used NOS era parts that were used in 1969, NOS Iskra resistors, RS mica caps, Lemco dogbone PI cap, NOS Mustard caps, NEW ARS and Sozo/Mallory Filter caps, Metro C1998 Dagnall CloneOutput Transformer, Metro dagnal clone choke, Magnetic Components M6 Laminations PT(made in 2017) (designed to run cool and it does), NOS Cinch Ceramic tube sockets, NOS Amphenol power tube sockets Era correct red hue fiber check circuit board by Brian Haberman, PEC($30) pot PPIMV has a nicer taper than the Alpha, turned all the way up it is out of the circuit but it sounds good. EH6ca7 power tubes, Running a Tungsol in V1, Chinese HG5+in V2(cathode follower), and NOS Sylvania in V3 PI. Surprisingly the new production Tung sol in V1 sounded as good as an original 60's Tung sol, 60's Sylvania and 60's Mullard I tried in V1 plus there is no plate ring when pushing at high gain with OD pedals for heavier stuff. I wanted a great sounding era correct superlead that was reliable, the master volume works great. Amp at 4-5 is Led Zeppelin, 7-10 EVH with an EP3 pedal and EQ pedal (Boss GE7 or MXR I've run them both into this amp both do the EVH thing) if you have the chops to Lynch/Badlands with an SD-1 or OD808 variant, with the brightcap off it sounds like the Badlands Dusk album using an SD-1 or 808 for that matter, some people don't like the 5000pf bright cap all the time (so I put it on a switch) it adds crunch when engaged and bypasses more gain earlier but it causes the volume taper to come on earlier like Zero to F'ing loud if you are not using the PPIMV, the PPIMV controls the overall volume when turned down without sacrificing gain while still getting PI clipping. The amp has all the EVH 12301 Dave Friedman specs Philips Chicklet .68 on V1 except the 330uf on V2, I will explain them all to a serious buyer. I also include an additional speaker output jack( there are three total) for a lineout box for W/D/W setups ala EVH . Headbox is a new Plexi headbox from Valvestorm, I have the back for it, it was taken off for pics. I also set up the amp to be SL in channel one(5000pf NOS ceramic bright cap is on a Push pull switch) and the Bright channel of a Super bass in channel two for you strat Hendrix Free guys, you can still jump channels like a standard plexi if you wish as well. I have been building amp for many years and built quite a few plexis to modded high gain amps so I'm not a rookie and I really didn't build it to sell but you know how it goes I still have more than enough vintage amps to satisfy me in the collection and I have some bills coming up so I'm going to cut this one loose at a good price. I am also including an aluminum road case for the head to ship in, and the case will be boxed with overpack, power tubes removed wrapped in bubblewrap and taped to chassis for shipping UPS or FedEx your choice, I know how to pack an amp. I have 420 Ebay transactions with 100% Feddback and have been here many years and I stand behind everything I sell. PM if you want more pics emailed to you for close ups. I would prefer to deal with a long time member here a RT.

FYI.. this circuit board was originally a Super Bass layout(shared cathode) I decided to convert it to a Superlead layout(split chathode), since I did not want to pull the circuit board to add turrets I used the turret on the channel two input mixers and then added the Channel two 68K's on a shielded cable to the preamp tube. That's why it looks a little different versus what's in the vintage amp picture with the 68K's on the circuit board for channel two. It's still all wired exactly the same as the vintage amp.

Price is $1700 PP gift shipped FEDEX/UPS that includes the aluminum road case to lower 48 CONUSA only please.

I added a pic of one of the 1969 marshall superleads I emulated the wiring style and routing of these vintage amps, one of which was called the Purple Plexi as below.

If you click each individual picture you will get a nice big picture to view.

Purpletele":3p7jp9hm said:
Great looking amp with incredible specs!!

I'm looking for something similar in a 50 Watt version.

GLWS

Actually the 50 watters aren't that much quieter only by a few DB... I think 6 or 12 DB if my memory serves correctly. If you really wish to run it at 50 watts all you have to do is pull the two outer or tow inner power tubes then reduce your impedance setting by half but the low end and percussiveness will still hit as hard as a 100 watter because of the windings of the larger Output transformer versus a 50 watter. Mojave used to use a 100 watt OPT in the Scorpion 50 watter for this very reason, so a 50 watt amp would hit like a 100 watter. I have been running my 68 Replica amp this way for years now to save on tubes and some volume. The PPIMV works very well though, I would not say perfect for wisper quiet bedroom use but best around loud TV volume use. Let me know if you have any further questions, I'd be happy to answer them.

I had some time and I broke out the Zoom to record some quick in the room clips of the amp doing the EVH thing and hard rock at low volume at at higher volume as well...the playing is subpar but it's been awhile... so hopefully you can hear the basic tone of the amp. In the vid the amp was Channel 1 volume was 7 the PPIMV was on 6 and the THD hotplate was set to -4 just to take a bit of volume off with no tonesuck. I have to get a compression program to convert my other vids to speed up the upload process so it might be a couple of days before I get the others up.
Old Kramer with a Duncan Custom pickup and the overdrive pedal is a custom SRB OD808 which is in SD-1 mode, it has a regular 4558D chip like an SD-1, the rest of the particulars is listed on YT. At 3:43 I engage the bright cap.

Here's another clip I just uploaded doing some Zepplin and then VH Riffs, using a Musikraft Ash Franky w/78 model 9K p/u, Cinch EP-PRE, Boss GE7 7band EQ

harddriver":1wf6scuf said:
Purpletele":1wf6scuf said:
Great looking amp with incredible specs!!

I'm looking for something similar in a 50 Watt version.

GLWS

Actually the 50 watters aren't that much quieter only by a few DB... I think 6 or 12 DB if my memory serves correctly. If you really wish to run it at 50 watts all you have to do is pull the two outer or tow inner power tubes then reduce your impedance setting by half but the low end and percussiveness will still hit as hard as a 100 watter because of the windings of the larger Output transformer versus a 50 watter. Mojave used to use a 100 watt OPT in the Scorpion 50 watter for this very reason, so a 50 watt amp would hit like a 100 watter. I have been running my 68 Replica amp this way for years now to save on tubes and some volume. The PPIMV works very well though, I would not say perfect for wisper quiet bedroom use but best around loud TV volume use. Let me know if you have any further questions, I'd be happy to answer them.

I agree with the 50 vs 100 science, but I had to use something to talk myself down. That amp sounds great on the first video, but the circuitry and components are quite artful.

I don't think I am alone when I say I have the money crunch going on right now with first of the year finances.

I hope it goes to a deserving home.

Brian V

Thanks for giving it a listen. My 68 Metro Plexi I built many years ago also has all NOS parts as wel,l except I used current production CF resistors. It may be a psychological effect... but I think the Iskras edge it out. I'm only boosting about 6 DB at 800hz and 1.6Khz and 3 DB at 400hz and 3.2K... the rest are flat including the overall level, I feel it's fine line for correct tight VH1 and VHII tones and boosting things too much. It was funny as I had to adjust the GE7 different than what I use on my old blue MXR 6 band to get the GE7 to sound like my MXR when using it for EVH tones but it gets real close and I can turn it on/off without a looper pedal that I need for the MXR. I have one more clip showing the amp at low volume using just the PPIMV at 2 which is loud TV volume that I am going to upload, I know people want to hear low volume with just the PPIMV. I personally like in the room clips of amps to hear the basic tone, if it can't sound good in the room... mic'd won't help much.

One last clip showing the effectiveness of the PPIMV at low volume levels, PPIMV is on 2 here(NO HOTPLATE USED in this clip), you can hear the string noise as I play so you can gage volume level.

I'm trying to figure out why this is still for sale. The parts in this alone cost as much as the asking price, and the work looks decent for the amp build. If I didn't already have 8 100w amp heads I'd be all over this. GLWTS!

Thanks Jim it's a great sounding amp. It has become abundantly clear the amp market is saturated. I have no problem keeping it. After shipping and the road case I'm only clearing $1500.00.

Back