WTB: Cameron Aldrich Mod

glip22":dnoquiro said:
Seller is a member here. The listing has been aging :yes:

I know some folks are willing to sell at a certain price and that's cool with me. Just means they are fine keeping it unless they get that high price.

That’s a pretty good Aldrich, used to be mine at one point. I added the metro loop when I had it. If it was 2k I’d buy it back. And the Aldrich mod only uses 3 preamp tubes as it uses a plate fed tone stack no cathode follower. That amp is the real deal.

Wizard of Ozz":2ssv2m0a said:
Equ1nox":2ssv2m0a said:

Aldrich should have 4 preamp tubes... unless one is hiding on the inside.

3 12AX7’s is all that is needed and all that were used on all three of my owned Cameron Aldrich’s as it is a “non-cathode follower” design. This I do know to be a fact.

I built one for fun and exercise based off of the three Cameron’s I owned. It sounded close to the last Aldrich I owned but I don’t have Mark’s ears. I pulled the work out and built a completely different non-cathode follower design I call the SoCaliDonda. I would never attempt to build it not to mention sale a copy as Mark is my friend.

Some Aldrich’s have a second gain pot to aid in shaping the gain. Others have had an extra tube added for either a loop or added clean channel.

Mark told me there are only 3 three channel Aldrich’s in existence. One was in Hawaii.

At least one other RT member and I have owned a 2 channel version. A few of us owned one which actually had a 5 way rotary switch on it for an assorted choice of caps. Mark likes doing new things and creating new assemblies and circuit designs.

This was Marks first circuit he claims is 100% his intellectual property and it is indeed very unique in its lay out.

David

NewReligion":27zgid9g said:
Wizard of Ozz":27zgid9g said:
Equ1nox":27zgid9g said:

3 12AX7’s is all that is needed and all that were used on all three of my owned Cameron Aldrich’s as it is a “non-cathode follower” design. This I do know to be a fact.

I built one for fun and exercise based off of the three Cameron’s I owned. It sounded close to the last Aldrich I owned but I don’t have Mark’s ears. I pulled the work out and built a completely different non-cathode follower design I call the SoCaliDonda. I would never attempt to build it not to mention sale a copy as Mark is my friend.

Some Aldrich’s have a second gain pot to aid in shaping the gain. Others have had an extra tube added for either a loop or added clean channel.

Mark told me there are only 3 three channel Aldrich’s in existence. One was in Hawaii.

At least one other RT member and I have owned a 2 channel version. A few of us owned one which actually had a 5 way rotary switch on it for an assorted choice of caps. Mark likes doing new things and creating new assemblies and circuit designs.

This was Marks first circuit he claims is 100% his intellectual property and it is indeed very unique in its lay out.

David

I’m familiar with the design... but mine had 4 and no fx loop. Suhr’s version (which Doug is currently using live and in the studio) also has 4. Not saying it can’t be done with 3, mine and another I’ve played both had 4. YMMV. Caveat Emptor.

Wizard of Ozz":3m5nkf1s said:
NewReligion":3m5nkf1s said:
Wizard of Ozz":3m5nkf1s said:
Equ1nox":3m5nkf1s said:

David

I’m familiar with the design... but mine had 4 and no fx loop. Suhr’s version (which Doug is currently using live and in the studio) also has 4. Not saying it can’t be done with 3, mine and another I’ve played both had 4. YMMV. Caveat Emptor.

I should have stated I was responding to the “Cameron” designed Aldrich mod (for sale on Reverb for $4,200) which at one time was also called the Norum mod by a few guys. This is the mod Mark did to his amp(s) early on when he was still playing live in order to get more gain. They were 3 tube 4 triode plus PI non cathode follower amp circuits.

I believe the later Old Bitch takes on this designed produced by others using Mark’s name were based on the non cathode design.

Google Cameron Old Bitch schematic.

I am not familiar with what Suhr has developed for Doug Aldrich.

David

1-Channel Cameron Aldrich is 3 tubes, 4 gain stages,no CF, tonestack, PI, and power section. If additional tube, it should be for extra channel or fx loop or both, but the lead design, that's it.

I've owned all of Mark's amps INCLUDING the 3-channel from Hawaii! It's now on this side of the pond now, not in Hawaii (3 were produced), but I sold it some time ago. The channels were Plexi/HG Jose/Aldrich.

The Old Bitch is/was supposed to be basically the production version of the Aldrich-MOD. Same topoggraphy in the preamp, but was actually a hybrid Friedman/Cameron overall and (wrongly) built with flawed transformers (hot and hummed) by Metropolous, so not a real Cameron as in his ground-up builds.

NewReligion":3785s7p7 said:
Wizard of Ozz":3785s7p7 said:
Equ1nox":3785s7p7 said:

David

technomancer":yeg4lzaq said:
Steinmetzify":yeg4lzaq said:
http://www.guitargearforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=44493

That's Reza's... there's no guarantee it is an Aldrich and somebody else messed with it as there is an extra outlet on the back that Mark didn't do. The clip that was posted also seems fuzzier than most Aldrich clips I've heard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVfpqeaQoLg

Thanks. That one seemed a bit off to me.

Back