SOLD: DIY High-Gain 2204/JCM800 (Chupacabra/Yeti/Jose/etc.)

FourT6and2

Built using a Ceriatone chassis and blank turret board. It's whatever you'd like to call it, but it's not a Chupa or Yeti. I've got a few of these built and just need to clean house a bit. Too many amps.

50-watt 2204 circuit with Jose-style high gain mods.

This amp is angry and mean. It has snarl and aggression and it's tight and stops on a dime. But it also has a very sweet and musical upper-mid range. It can do cleans as well, but it's single channel and meant more as a modern high-gain machine. But it can do lower gain stuff all the same. Drop-tune or use a 7/8 string and it will do all the djenty heavy chugga chugga stuff no problem.

• –Custom power and output transformers by Marstran. JTM45 1202-55 PT and JMP50 784-139 OT.
    –F&T filter caps.
    –IC MPW signal caps, with NOS Vishay/ERO MKT1813 cathode bypass caps
    –High quality, low-noise, non-inductive Beyschlag MBE0414 thin-film resistors. 1 watt, 500v, 1%.
    –Vishay 1-watt, 500v, 1% metal film resistors in bias supply.
    –Mix of high-quality NOS caps in tone stack, PI, Presence, Depth, and voltage divider.
    –All hook-up wire is silver-plated PTFE and ETFE, rated at 600v.
    –Alpha pots.
    –Genuine UK Cliff jacks.
    –Shielded coax used in key places to reduce noise.
It's similar to many of the other Jose-style high gain 2204 mods out there. Just voiced a little differently. Depth control isn't as deep or boomy. It's shifted up a bit higher into the sub-low mids and more punchy and vocal. Amp is tighter and has more grunt than some of the other monster-named offerings on the market. The Feel control on Gain 1 is a push-pull and when pushed = full gain and low-end response. Pulled = tighter with more snarl and aggression. Tone stack is closer to stock Marshall so it has more of that "kerrrrrannggg" that people love instead of a scooped fizzy mess. Phase inverter passes more low-end than stock Marshall. So it has a deeper, more lush timbre.

That said, for an additional cost, I can easily modify any part of this amp to suit the buyer's desires, including but not limited to:
  • Changing diodes for more or less clipping
    Adding or reducing gain
    Raising/lowering voltages for more sag or a tighter response
    Changing tone stack for more mids, less mids, more low-end, etc.
    Changing depth control for more punch or more deep low end
    Changing PI back to stock Marshall values

untitled_by_haftelm_ddhijt0-fullview.jpg

untitled_by_haftelm_ddhijtc-fullview.jpg

untitled_by_haftelm_ddhijs5-fullview.jpg

untitled_by_haftelm_ddhijri-fullview.jpg

untitled_by_haftelm_ddhijsk-fullview.jpg

untitled_by_haftelm_ddhijr4-fullview.jpg

Last edited:
:LOL: :LOL: Doesn't look bad, but it would be better if your work wasn't quite so messy

Seriously man, that's an amazing build and the work looks super high-quality. Well done! :rock:

overthemountain":2lwss1h1 said:
:LOL: :LOL: Doesn't look bad, but it would be better if your work wasn't quite so messy

Seriously man, that's an amazing build and the work looks super high-quality. Well done! :rock:

I have played this amp, and it is AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!! as good as anything out there, and this price is ridiculous!!! best deal for an amp I have seen, if I wasn't broke I would snatch this up really fast!

Back