MCII 34 vs KT

Influenza

I am deeply interested getting an MCII in the near future. I had the pleasure to play one with EL34s and it was absoluty awesome.
Over here in Europe, Wizards are rare. I might be able to get my hands on a KT88 version. However, there's almost no chance to get an A/B comparison.
I need to rely on the forum to get first hand opinions. Rick himself says, the tubes are not interchangable and the transformer are not the same.
I am sure the MCIIKT sounds awesome. But will it have the Marshall vibe going on? Getting a MCII should be my definite purchase for briitsh crunch.
Has anyone heard both side by side?

I own both versions. The KT88 version has a bigger, tighter bottom end, more mids and overall a little warmer. There’s a second, unlabeled pull boost on the rhythm channel of my KT88 amp. Supposedly called the Black Cat mod. Give the channel petty much as much gain as the lead channel. My KT88 is a 2018 and the e34L is a 2015. I don’t know if that mid is on all the amps now.

I can dial them fairly close in sound. But the KT88 has a little more punch.

Hello, this is of excellent help. While I am at it:
Would you mind comparing the KT88 to your Fryette (I own the UL) and the Fortin you own.

But sounds as if getting a KT version not a no-go for Crunch, too.

The KT88 has thicker mids the the e34L, but if you dial back a little, you can get them similar.

The Wizards and the UL have a lot of similarities. Probably why I love them both. The Wizards are more clear in the gain, tighter and more punch/percussiveness on the low end. The UL can get more modern sounding and has more tonal variation due to the EQ.

The Fortin is supper tight as well, but more saturated and more compression. It’s 50w power section doesn’t stand up to the UL or the Wizards in terms of balls/punch but it does pretty well.

Is there more information on the KT models? The website's really vague and I've yet to get a coherent answer from wizard themselves, KT200, KT150, KT120, what? Are they some sort of custom order amps with the huge newer KT tubes in them and what's pricing like? All that's listed is their weight.

Yeah, that's why I asked here. Actually, there are as good as no details.
I know that the KT series offer different transfomers and that the valves cannot be changed to EL34 from the KT version which seem to be compatible to KT88 (stock) and KT120.
But I know nothing about different voicings, prices, possible different features etc.
Good luck we have at least someone that owns both versions. It would be as good as impossible to find a dealer that can offer that experience.

I am deeply interested getting an MCII in the near future. I had the pleasure to play one with EL34s and it was absoluty awesome.
Over here in Europe, Wizards are rare. I might be able to get my hands on a KT88 version. However, there's almost no chance to get an A/B comparison.
I need to rely on the forum to get first hand opinions. Rick himself says, the tubes are not interchangable and the transformer are not the same.
I am sure the MCIIKT sounds awesome. But will it have the Marshall vibe going on? Getting a MCII should be my definite purchase for briitsh crunch.
Has anyone heard both side by side?
I don't have a EL MCII for side by side, only a MC1, but I have a brand new MCII KT150 on the way. Should be here in a couple of weeks.

I'll post some pictures including detailed views of the open chassis or "gut shots" as others say when it gets here.

Maybe some audio clips too.

I'm interested in this too.

I played a buddy's KT75 MCII with KT88s and it was difficult to play. I've not experienced this with any EL-34 amp. It did sound darker and rounder, in addition to being a little of bassier/boomier. It felt like it lacked some tightness/percussiveness when chugging and harmonic richness, and aggressiveness that the EL-34s give. I just felt like I was fighting the amp to get it to "focus"

Was this anyone else's experience?

Was this anyone else's experience?
Not at all with my MCII KT150.

But I'm not you, so it's impossible to know what you hear.

Amp design topology is much more than just the power tubes. Play a Rivera M100 (EL34), Bludotone High Plains Drifter (KT88), Louis Electric Cobra (EL34), Matchless Clubman or Independence 35 (Both EL34). None of them sound anything alike.

My Wizards all sound like Wizards (MC25-2 X 6V6), (MC50 2 X EL34), (MCII KT150 4 X KT88). They all sound just slightly different because of power sections (some will obviously be more/less loud).

My Mesa MKIV is 4 X 6L6, but sounds nothing like a Fender Twin Reverb.

The amps that end up working for me are the ones whose basic voice I like, and can get the sound I exactly want with a little tweaking of the controls. If I can't do that, then it's not an amp I want.

This my current collection. They are all different, and all sound different. One thing I don't do now (I did so years ago though because I didn't know any better) is buy an amp that has a specific voice and try to make it sound like something else. That is stupid. Anyway, getting off subject.....sorry.

hYftIOL.jpg
EwAiGU0.jpg
7G1f56l.jpg
PzN7Zb6.jpg
z21LJDB.jpg

Not at all with my MCII KT150.

But I'm not you, so it's impossible to know what you hear.

Amp design topology is much more than just the power tubes. Play a Rivera M100 (EL34), Bludotone High Plains Drifter (KT88), Louis Electric Cobra (EL34), Matchless Clubman or Independence 35 (Both EL34). None of them sound anything alike.

My Wizards all sound like Wizards (MC25-2 X 6V6), (MC50 2 X EL34), (MCII KT150 4 X KT88). They all sound just slightly different because of power sections (some will obviously be more/less loud).

My Mesa MKIV is 4 X 6L6, but sounds nothing like a Fender Twin Reverb.

The amps that end up working for me are the ones whose basic voice I like, and can get the sound I exactly want with a little tweaking of the controls. If I can't do that, then it's not an amp I want.

This my current collection. They are all different, and all sound different. One thing I don't do now (I did so years ago though because I didn't know any better) is buy an amp that has a specific voice and try to make it sound like something else. That is stupid. Anyway, getting off subject.....sorry.

hYftIOL.jpg
EwAiGU0.jpg
7G1f56l.jpg
PzN7Zb6.jpg
z21LJDB.jpg

I like that you need to wear safety glasses when playing the Wizard...they are indeed that dangerous LoL!

Back