School me on Wizard amps

Jon BCN

So Metallica is my favourite band by far and I love the Garage Inc tone, which turns out was made with a Wizard MC.

I'm looking at the Wizard MCII, but I'm hearing the new Wizards are made with a different transformer? Does that change the tone much?

Also I'm from Europe (Barcelona), so I want to know that if something happens to the amp, I can send it to an authorized tech in Europe (?).

I can't speak for the difference between the transformers, but my MCII has the V transformer. I find this amp with the stock E34Ls and fairly hot ceramic pups yields a VERY aggressive angry sounding voicing. I'm sure you could get close to that Metallica tone with eq tweaks. EQ is very responsive and offers lots of tones.

AWESOME amp! Good luck!

Jon BCN":1ay7ndxz said:
So Metallica is my favourite band by far and I love the Garage Inc tone, which turns out was made with a Wizard MC.

I'm looking at the Wizard MCII, but I'm hearing the new Wizards are made with a different transformer? Does that change the tone much?

Also I'm from Europe (Barcelona), so I want to know that if something happens to the amp, I can send it to an authorized tech in Europe (?).
Rick is notorious for treating his creations like his own children, so he would rather you ship to Canada for him to work on it..that said, it's a ptp plexi type circuit that is overbuilt to the max so I'd doubt any issue would arise.
They are the biggest sounding amp you will ever play, unless you have a Mesa Coliseum and then it's a toss up...clarity and thump are the best in the business. I don't think the transformers are going to alter the tone too much..the MTL is less Marshall sounding than the MCI/II.

Racerxrated":1h3wg12b said:
Jon BCN":1h3wg12b said:

Rick is notorious for treating his creations like his own children, so he would rather you ship to Canada for him to work on it..that said, it's a ptp plexi type circuit that is overbuilt to the max so I'd doubt any issue would arise.
They are the biggest sounding amp you will ever play, unless you have a Mesa Coliseum and then it's a toss up...clarity and thump are the best in the business. I don't think the transformers are going to alter the tone too much..the MTL is less Marshall sounding than the MCI/II.

Absolutely SPOT ON!!

My experience as well. Of my Matchless, Soldano, Friedman, Carr, MESA MKIV A, my MC 50 & MC 25 are in a class of their own, tone-wise, and technically...build-wise!!!

I've been working on and modding my own tube amps since I was a teenager (I'm 60 now).

I have to say my two Wizards are some of the best amps I've ever owned. Consider them modern classics in and of themselves.

They are not cheap, but they will outlive you.

The very best for what they are.

JhmMacO.jpg
o8NOZV1.jpg
O96EYWl.jpg
HTVb3b6.jpg
EFxAowP.jpg
glM0J2y.jpg

Wizzard amps are freaking amazeballs.

My other toane’ secret is the red Donner Vowel pedal. I trade my clyde mcoy for it a couple years back.
Now I’m saving for an Xotic mini wah but it’s probably gonna take a few months to come up with the $150 . I have cash ap if anyone wants to donate just hmu 🤙

Attachments

• IMG_7386.jpeg
    IMG_7386.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_6997.jpeg
    IMG_6997.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Absolutely SPOT ON!!

My experience as well. Of my Matchless, Soldano, Friedman, Carr, MESA MKIV A, my MC 50 & MC 25 are in a class of their own, tone-wise, and technically...build-wise!!!

I've been working on and modding my own tube amps since I was a teenager (I'm 60 now).

I have to say my two Wizards are some of the best amps I've ever owned. Consider them modern classics in and of themselves.

They are not cheap, but they will outlive you.

The very best for what they are.

JhmMacO.jpg
o8NOZV1.jpg
O96EYWl.jpg
HTVb3b6.jpg
EFxAowP.jpg
glM0J2y.jpg
Chock full of Orange Drops, explains the aggressive tone

I don't know what gear is responsible for that tone but damn.
No idea how it has that much slice without being harsh.
That's the first gig I've actually seen Wizard cabs in the backline.
I presume from that he was using the Wizard live. His KL is one of his brightest guitars too, so I reckon the combo of those two factors alone would have resulted in a very cutting tone. That Mercyful fate song and particular riff at 37:02 just rips my face off.
I don't miss the "Yeyaah babbaaay" James used throw out there every 5 minutes phase.

I don't know what gear is responsible for that tone but damn.
No idea how it has that much slice without being harsh.
Garage Inc. Tour live rig was blended Mesa Triaxis x 2, Mesa custom Graphic EQ, Strategy 400 power amps into two GB loaded Wizard cabs AND two Mesa V30 loaded cabs, all mic'd with AT4050 condenser mics. Don't overlook the importance of those mics on that tone. That tour was the last time I saw Metallica live and that's how it's going to stay lol

Garage Inc. Tour live rig was blended Mesa Triaxis x 2, Mesa custom Graphic EQ, Strategy 400 power amps into two GB loaded Wizard cabs AND two Mesa V30 loaded cabs, all mic'd with AT4050 condenser mics. Don't overlook the importance of those mics on that tone. That tour was the last time I saw Metallica live and that's how it's going to stay lol

Oh that was his Traixis rig? Nice! Man I love that rig. I think it's responsible for some of the best tones James ever got live. He blended one Triaxis in IIC+ mode and another in Recto mode to get his sound, right?

And thanks for the info on the cabs and mics, I never knew James used GB's and I definitely didn't know he used 4050's for mics. The blend of IR's I've been using for like the past year uses at least one Mesa 4x12 Recto cab mic'd with a 4047. Maybe I should look into checking out a 4050 and making my own IR's with my Recto cab if it can sound anything like the cab/mics in that video there.

Oh that was his Traixis rig? Nice! Man I love that rig. I think it's responsible for some of the best tones James ever got live. He blended one Triaxis in IIC+ mode and another in Recto mode to get his sound, right?

And thanks for the info on the cabs and mics, I never knew James used GB's and I definitely didn't know he used 4050's for mics. The blend of IR's I've been using for like the past year uses at least one Mesa 4x12 Recto cab mic'd with a 4047. Maybe I should look into checking out a 4050 and making my own IR's with my Recto cab if it can sound anything like the cab/mics in that video there.
Yes, both Triaxis units were run like that and out of phase with each other I believe. I agree that was his last good sounding live rig. There was a period shortly after that, circa 99-00 where they swapped out the 400s for Mesa 290 power amps and the tone got fatter, smoother, and much softer sounding. The start of mushy tone era Metallica (n)

Back