MC25 vs EL-34 Wizards

narad

I'm in love with the Wizard type C transformer sound clips I've heard over the years, but whenever a good deal on one comes up, it's usually just bad timing. The MC25 is kind of appealing to me since I could order new and not be much more than used MCI/II 50W watt prices, but the 6L6s put me off a bit. I love those tubes in different types of things, for cleans or further back plexi sounds, but for the superlead meets hiwatt vibe of Wizard it's not what I would typically go for.

Does anyone own both and can comment on how they compare? Maybe Rick revoiced the amp around 6L6s? Or has anyone ordered any low-watt EL34 stuff from Rick before? I've heard of the MC35, but can't find any details on it.

narad":voyz3b6u said:
I'm in love with the Wizard type C transformer sound clips I've heard over the years, but whenever a good deal on one comes up, it's usually just bad timing. The MC25 is kind of appealing to me since I could order new and not be much more than used MCI/II 50W watt prices, but the 6L6s put me off a bit. I love those tubes in different types of things, for cleans or further back plexi sounds, but for the superlead meets hiwatt vibe of Wizard it's not what I would typically go for.

Does anyone own both and can comment on how they compare? Maybe Rick revoiced the amp around 6L6s? Or has anyone ordered any low-watt EL34 stuff from Rick before? I've heard of the MC35, but can't find any details on it.

Yes I have MC 50 and MC 25.

My MC 25 is 6V6 (not 6L6). It is every bit as toneful as the MC 50, but not as loud (ALTHOUGH IT'S DAMNED LOUD FOR A 25W AMP!!!!!).

As a general rule, people (especially those who do not have the "hands on technical knowledge & skill" about tube amp design) make far too big a deal about the tonal characteristics that output tubes in and of themselves impart on the total sound. Power supply design (filtering), output transformer, type of biasing make mark-able differences.

The amps are designed around the tubes (and other things) of the designers choice. Not the other way around. Also, having a dependable source of dependable tubes is a constant moving target (sometimes of nightmarish magnitude) for amp designers.

Rick's designs are some of the best, and most dependable I've ever had the pleasure to come across.

Truly a labor of love.

The sound of any Wizard has Rick's stamp on it. That you can be assured of.

tlp1234":xe3pwxru said:
Yes I have MC 50 and MC 25......My MC 25 is 6V6 (not 6L6). It is every bit as toneful as the MC 50, but not as loud (ALTHOUGH IT'S DAMNED LOUD FOR A 25W AMP!!!!!).

My prior big watt Wizard experience was J-Dubs 100 watt Vintage Classic, although might've been an MTL....this was well over 10 years ago. That amp was so brutally devastatingly loud and needed to be up at that volume to get the goods. It also had the most unreal sonic footprint I had ever encountered, made a major impression on me. Took my own leap of faith and scored an MC25 two years ago and its been my main rig ever since for basically everything. Volume is relative I guess, but I had a Bogner Helios 50 when I got the Wizard, no question the Wizard owned the sonic footprint category, may not be as "loud" as a 50 watter but it doesn't need to be. No question in the room and more important with the band which amp was staying. I'm MCII 50 curious but more from a 'curious about supermodels' perspective. I'm also 100% in on the small format head for space issues, if Rick would make a 50 in an MC25 sized head it would be less of a question.

Back