New Wizard MC Owner. Looking for 4x12 cab suggestions!

sluice

Hi all.

I just got a Wizard MC yesterday.

I've listen to a bunch of youtube videos which made me interested in this amp, but without being 100% "sold" on it.
I essentially only got it because I managed to get it in a trade for my Bogner Ecstasy.

Anyhow, holy brown sound marsh@ll batman mother f!@#%$ this is the first amp in my life that puts a huge smile on my face, in the first minutes!
This amp needs to be played to fully understand it's greatness!

And that's with a pretty decent amp history as well (2204, Bogner XTC, Friedman Smallbox, Soldano SLO and Hot Rod 50, Mesa Mark V, Peavey 6505+, Engl e530, JCM 2000, etc. to name a few)

This amp is a keeper for sure and I've only got to tried it through my OX Top Box (Greenbacks IR)...

Therefore, I'm now on the lookout for a 4x12 straight cabinet with greenbacks, creambacks or greenbacks/V30s combo. No sure which speakers combination to go with.
Any suggestions welcomed.

Now are the Wizard cabinet worth the price of entry? They are possibly the most expensive cab one could get....

Cab idea :

-Wizard 412 (most expensive of the bunch. Can't find any. Has to be purchased new.)
-Friedman 412 (Greenbacks / V30s)
-Marshall 1960BX (Possibly the cheapest option here since can be found easily on the used market)
-Avatar brand new... (Possibly the best bang for the buck.. but are these as good as the Wizard or Friedman?...)
-Anything else???

I have 3 Wizards and 3 Wizard cabs. The cabs are loaded with Fane F70, Celestion Creamback H75 and Scumback H75 respectively. I'd say the Fanes are probably my favorite of the 3 followed by the Scumbacks. I've tried Celestion Alnico Cream, Greenbacks, Scumback M75s but I tend to prefer a brighter/tighter tone. I had a Friedman cab with Greenback/v30 that sounded great with the wizards too - though even better when the greenbacks were swapped for scumback M75s. Your speaker preference probably depends on the style of music you play.

You can order a new Wizard cab unloaded (all 3 of mine were $795 each plus shipping from California - though check with Rick for current pricing). You'll save some $ if you already have speakers. The Wizard cabs are made at Boutique Amps Distribution by the same people who make the Friedman cabs.

LunatiBSW has an Avatar cab he uses with his MCII, so he could speak to that.

I ran an EVH 412 w/ heritage greenbacks with my MCII for quite some time and think it sounds good. I now run that same cab in conjunction with a Whitebox 212 loaded w/ G12K-100s and love it.

sluice":2oh95bqe said:
Now are the Wizard cabinet worth the price of entry? They are possibly the most expensive cab one could get....

Congrats on the new amp!

My own 2 cents....unless you end up buying an actual Wizard cab, hands down the best bet out there is from Mather. His cabs are off the charts nice. He was / is OEM cab guy for a bunch of different people including Mojave. He built me a pair of custom vertical 2x12's that are the same width as my MC25 head. The build quality, exact date of delivery nailed and everything else about it just makes it a no brainer to deal with him. I would say easily the build quality is as good or surpasses whoever is building the Wizard cabs for Rick; I suggested he look into Mather as well after getting my vert 2x12's.

http://www.mathercab.com/

http://www.mathercab.com/price_list_marshall.htm

Mather vertical 2x12 w a Gold / Creamback speaker combo loaded in

JV4t09r.jpg

Thanks for all the input guys!

* velcro-fly *":3hit47ex said:
sluice":3hit47ex said:

Congrats on the new amp!

My own 2 cents....unless you end up buying an actual Wizard cab, hands down the best bet out there is from Mather. His cabs are off the charts nice. He was / is OEM cab guy for a bunch of different people including Mojave. He built me a pair of custom vertical 2x12's that are the same width as my MC25 head. The build quality, exact date of delivery nailed and everything else about it just makes it a no brainer to deal with him. I would say easily the build quality is as good or surpasses whoever is building the Wizard cabs for Rick; I suggested he look into Mather as well after getting my vert 2x12's.

http://www.mathercab.com/

http://www.mathercab.com/price_list_marshall.htm

I will check him out!

Cheers! :rock:

Mathers doesn't ship to Canada
, unfortunately.

But I've found a Wizard 4x12 with the Friedman configuration (2x V30s, 2x Greenback).

I'll probably swap the 2x V30s for 2x Greenbacks.
I'm also going to get the half stack re-tolex to something matching, probably white!?

Mather cabs , I’ve heard, are awesome!
Not all avatar cabs are the same. I had my custom 412 spec’d Out to stuff they don’t do anymore, and some off the menu stuff too.
My avatar cab is dovetail joined, has a HD center post with HD bracing. Fully recessed handles, the plate doesn’t even stick out (just cosmetic). The baffling Bogner does. It’s front loaded, with a shock mounted grill.... it’s made for metal. Not rock.
What they are offering now would be up your alley. Finger joined, no baffling, vintage bracing. It will do rock better. They’ve changed a lot over the years, the older ones aren’t as good IMO.
The newer ones would be more Friedman style, in their vintage 412 model.
You need a vintage cab, so Friedman, wizard, Mather, Avatar vintage, they’ll all be pretty close.

We def have diff speaker preferences though. Not a greenie fan here, but I’m also a heavy metal guy.

FYI-The mcII loves my big Friedman 412:15 cab.
Celestion Anniv h30 on top/ Celestion fullback 15’s on bottom.

I was mistaken.
My Wizard cab has 2x G12H-30 (Annies)
And 2x V30s.

I also bought 2x G12M locally.

I'm currently thinking of either :
A- Doing 2x Annies and 2x Greenies
B- Finding two more Greenies and going full Green

Back