Rivera RockCrusher w/ Wizard MTL for bedroom volume

lessarti

Just have to say, i was considering selling this beast of an amp for all of this year, until i finally decided to pony up the cash on a used mint condition Rivera rockcrusher attenuator! Best purchase ever, excluding the Wizard ofcourse!, :D

The attenuator is at like -20DB for indoor lower bedroom level volume tones, this thing is incredible. I never got to truly appreciate the pushed poweramp tones of this thing until now!! What a mistake it would have been to sell it.. just thought i'd share.

lessarti":3vp6e9uw said:
Just have to say, i was considering selling this beast of an amp for all of this year, until i finally decided to pony up the cash on a used mint condition Rivera rockcrusher attenuator! Best purchase ever, excluding the Wizard ofcourse!, :D

The attenuator is at like -20DB for indoor lower bedroom level volume tones, this thing is incredible. I never got to truly appreciate the pushed poweramp tones of this thing until now!! What a mistake it would have been to sell it.. just thought i'd share.

The Fryette Powerstation is much better........the masters on the newer Wizards MC's work so much better, I never need to attenuate.

I am happy that you found yourself an attenuator that works best for you, congrats!

For me, the Rivera is perfect and allows me to get amazing sounds at low volumes, whereas i never could have done that beforehand. My Wizard mtl is 2010, (according to rick when i emailed him the serial), so doesn't have the newer vol taper. I am just grateful i have this beast of an amp and can finally enjoy it! :)

I have a Fryette v.1 and the WAZA TAE they both do a fantastic job with my MC I've used both many times live with success.

I tried a tone king iron man, hilariously maxes out at -40db and even amps like wizards on maximum volume can be used in the bedroom with people sleeping two floors down. Would recommend the iron man 2 if pure volume reduction without "tone suck" is what someone's looking for.

Are you still rocking the Crusher and MTL.
I just ordered the RockCrusher Recording from CME. It’s still in transit but I’ll be chiming in once I’ve had a few hours with it. I spent hundreds if not thousands of hours doing Attenuator/ Load box due diligence before pulling the trigger.

The RC recording is about a grand which puts it in a similar range as the Power Station, Boss TAE & Ox Box .

I feel the Fryette is likely the best attenuator of the bunch but I wanted integrated speakers sim or IR and had my reasons for going with the Rivera.

My second contender was. De Lisle 100 w Variable Impedence attenuator / IR loader which is still something I have some gas for. I’m using a De Lisle 8x6 Pro amp n cab switcher with a master fx loop and that thing’s awesome

Yes I still have the Crusher and use it with the MTL. I think both options of the RC and Power station are solid, you can't go wrong here.

I just ordered the RockCrusher Recording from CME. It’s still in transit but I’ll be chiming in once I’ve had a few hours with it. I spent hundreds if not thousands of hours doing Attenuator/ Load box due diligence before pulling the trigger.

The RC recording is about a grand which puts it in a similar range as the Power Station, Boss TAE & Ox Box .

I feel the Fryette is likely the best attenuator of the bunch but I wanted integrated speakers sim or IR and had my reasons for going with the Rivera.

My second contender was. De Lisle 100 w Variable Impedence attenuator / IR loader which is still something I have some gas for. I’m using a De Lisle 8x6 Pro amp n cab switcher with a master fx loop and that thing’s awesome
My Rivera Clubster Royale Recording has the Rock crusher built in. Does a fine job for recording!!

I think the main benefit of the Rock Crusher is that it's been around longer, is cheaper, and is therefore more affordable used. You can find the standard version for like $300 sometimes. The Recording version with the graphic EQ is interesting as a sort of primitive IR, but it was a novel idea that's been superseded by later load boxes with actual IRs like the ones you mention. Alternatively, you could also save some money by buying a Rock Crusher as your load box and put the extra cash into a dedicated IR, of which there's many good ones on the market now. That'll probably be a more attractive alternative to the Ox Box going forward.

Load boxes are great bits of kit. Worth picking up for sure, I just feel the Ox Box is very expensive for what it is, especially in 2024. The simplicity of the tech makes the $1500 list price eye-watering compared to the value you get out of a tube amp, relatively speaking.

Back