Did something different - 2012 MTL

1meanplexi

Hey Crew,

I bought a 2012 MTL form a fellow RT member. I have to admit that if this opportunity was not presented I would have kept my Modern Classic. With that said,

When I first fired it up I noticed a huge tonal pallet with all the options (that the MCI didn't have) I also noticed that this one seemed to present a challenge of the EQ. The gain seemed, "Fizzy" if that even counts as description. I changed out pre's and found a really nice balance but there was still this present fizz that I could not dial out. :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: !!!! I thought it might be the Wizard cab with the rock speakers (swapped out 2 of them for fanes, another story) but then Rick voices them around his amps.

I have a fairly good knowledge on tube amps and can navigate around one without nuking myself. Anyway, I sent Rick an email with the serial number requesting if the amp had the latest updates. Two things came from that. 1. He never got back to me and 2. I have no idea what the hell this update thing is. Instead of seemingly being a bother to Rick. I did a lot of research on power tubes. This one had the JJ EL34L's in it. I decided to swap them out with Mesa EL34's and wow!!!! That did it. I looked at the tech specs and found that the Mesa tubes will work with a Wizard and not only work...but work well.

I have to admit that I never really bought into the whole power tubes can affect tone. But whew!!!! This amp now is everything and more. Eventually I would like to (Dan Gowers preference) try 6CA7's not sure if they would take the Wizard but after swapping the out the JJ's for the Mesa's it would be fun to find out.

Communication is sparse and infrequent with Rick. I have been down that road. Let's just say he's more interested in selling a brand new head versus updating one. I was quoted $850 plus shipping to update mine without any explanation of what it entailed. I highly doubt that it was too involved. His price reflected his desire to discourage any updating. Needless to say it worked.

I've emailed Rick 5-6 times in the last two years and he responded rather promptly every time. That said I did get the same impression he's not interested in updating to much and is very tight lipped in regards to specifics. His prerogative really.

Regardless...his amps are amazing and I hope to have one again someday.

Back