Carol Ann prototype rock amp clips

jharpersj

Hey guys

I had the protype of the new Carol Ann 50W rock amp here, its off now to Dan Spitz of Anthrax for a test drive, I did some clips and they are posted on the CA site under the 1st section called Triptik. Amazing amp in every way ! 3 channel, I used 2nd and 3rd channels, nothing fancy just a marshall 4-12 and a bogner 1-12, a PRS, a Rand and a Les Paul. Hope you dig em.

http://www.carolannamps.com/sounds.htm

Bump for more. Without disrespecting Allan what do the guts look like? Not asking for pics, just an idea. How is the lead dress. Are the OT primarys short? Are the preamp tubes leads short. Are all the grid wires shielded. Things like that. I need to know I am buying a clean build if I decide on it. I am betting it is. My Cornford was built clean. Soldanos are clean.

glip22":35xtmj6i said:
Bump for more. Without disrespecting Allan what do the guts look like? Not asking for pics, just an idea. How is the lead dress. Are the OT primarys short? Are the preamp tubes leads short. Are all the grid wires shielded. Things like that. I need to know I am buying a clean build if I decide on it. I am betting it is. My Cornford was built clean. Soldanos are clean.

You wouldn't be disrespecting me per say if you were at the same level of knowledge and understood the design. Here are my reasons:

1. I am a Masters Qualified Electronics Engineer with 27 years experience building electronic equipment.

2. There are over 600 examples of amps I've built out there. Rarely do I ever see any of them in here for anything but routine tube service.

3. There are a number of extremely high profile named players that I have built amps for. Some are used on full power for 200 nights a year. Top tier players don't buy amps that break down or are built bad.

4. I'm not a modder, I designed the Triptik from ground up. I have a full understanding of every single minute aspect of the amp and I quite honestly don't have time to explain things that don't follow the rules you seem to have set (that in some cases and situations are pretty technically invalid). To inspect an amp based on your rationale is like saying a car is fast because it's red.

5. With all the respect in the world, there is zero need to sheild every grid. None at all !!! Sorry if that blows away an 'internet' amp building constant, but's it's true and I have 600 boxes of proof. In fact too many (and badly placed) screened cables can have a huge detrimental effect and generate more noise. It depends on the circuit, the amount of ground current flowing and the locale of the run. As a general rule, screen cables where not needed make an amp dound dull and dimensionless.
Also you may not want all preamp tube leads short. THere isn't a set recipe. Every aspect of a build can be used to tune the design. Length of wire and exact placement of runs can be used for signal manipulation and also for screening (yup....you can screen wires by using other wires , not just screened cables). This is especially true where one of your goals is to run a gain stage right on the edge of instability. You may also see some other things you feel are wrong by internet standards. For example tell me in technical terms the difference between 6" primaries and 3" primaries and what that affects and why. I'm not being rude, you said it and I want to know your rationale. I know the answer.

Remember a lot of tutorials you read like to explain things based on the easiest route to a higher probability to a succesful end result, which is not always the best and hardly ever at nothing more than a generic 100 foot view. There are standard ground schemes all over the internet for example that are all based on a higher level of reasonable success for most typical builds. I use a grounding scheme designed for the particular amp that takes in to account all of the ground currents and how I want to control them. I know when I can break the rules. Actually I'm not breaking any rules, I just understand it at a much deeper and lower level. I guarantee if you looked inside and then played the amp, you would be left confused as to why it had barely any noise floor when it breaks several of the internet tutorial rules most people think are Gospel.
I really hope this doesn't offend in any way, it's not meant too. Just trust I know what I'm doing and if you want to get in to a technical discussion with me, thats cool.

6. While the human eye likes to see straight lines and perfect right angles, electricity has it's own idea of 'neatness'. I tend to follow that as much as possible. The tonal results are much better.

Now, what should be more important to you is what the thing sounds like, it's noise floor and if it's voicing suits you. It's very very rare a badly built amp (especially a high gain amp) is silent. You know that. The Triptik is silent. No hums, no noise. The end result itself answers all your concerns.

If you really must see a gut shot, there was one in an OD-2 review in Nov 2010 Guitar Player magazine.

Carol-AnnAmps":37naku66 said:
glip22":37naku66 said:

You wouldn't be disrespecting me but I'm not posting them. Here are my reasons:

1. I am a Masters Qualified Electronics Engineer with 25 years experience.

2. There are 600 examples of amps I've built out there. Rarely do I ever see any of them in here for anything but routine tube service.

3. There are a number of extremely high profile named players that I have built amps for. Some are used on full power for 200 nights a year. Top tier players don't buy amps that break down or are built bad.

4. I'm not a modder, I designed the Triptik from ground up. I have a full understanding of every single minute aspect of the amp and I quite honestly don't have time to explain things you don't understand or don't follow the rules you seem to have set (that are pretty technically invalid for a number of reasons). To inspect an amp based on your rationale is like saying a car is fast because it's red.

5. With all the respect in the world, you don't know what you are looking for inside one of my designs. For example there is zero need to sheild every grid. None at all !!! Sorry if that blows away an amp building constant, but's it's true and I have plenty of proof. In fact too many (and badly placed) screened cables can have a huge detrimental effect. It depends on the circuit and a locale of the run. In some cases you can actually create MORE noise by screening certain cables. Also you may not want all preamp tube leads short. THere isn't a set recipe. Length of wire and exact placement of runs can be used for signal manipulation and also for screening (yup....you can screen wires by using other wires, not just screened cables). This is especially true where one of your goals is to run a gain stage right on the edge of instability. You may also see some other things you feel are wrong by cliche internet college standards. I don't want to have explain everything.

Remember a lot of tutorials you read like to explain things based on the easiest route to a succesful end result, which is not always the best and hardly ever at nothing more than a generic 100 foot view. There are standard ground schemes all over the internet for example that are all based on a higher level of reasonable success. I know when I can break the rules. Actually I'm not breaking any rules, I just understand it at a much deeper and lower level. I guarantee if you looked inside and then played the amp, you would be left confused as to why it had barely any noise floor when it breaks several of the 'hard and fast' rules you have been taught.

I hope this doesn't offend in any way, it's not meant too. Just trust I know what I'm doing :)

6. When you go to buy a DVD Player / TV / Cell Phone, do you request the thing be opened up so you can inspect it ? Probably not. I wouldn't have got this far if I was a hobbyist building shite amps.

7. While the human eye likes to see straight lines and perfect right angles, electricity has it's own idea of 'neatness'. I tend to follow that. The tonal results are much better.

8. My amps have been inspected and tested for CE certification.

9. It is built very clean, take my word on that.

Now, what should be more important to you is what the thing sounds like, it's noise floor and if it's voicing suits you. It's very very rare a badly built amp (especially a high gain amp) is silent. The Triptik is silent. No hums, no noise. The end result itself answers all your concerns.

If you really want to see a gut shot, there was one in an OD-2 review in Nov 2010 Guitar Player magazine.

Allan, In my post I stated I did not want a pic. You gave me what I asked for exactly. I am very interested in this amp.[/quote]
Damn....I typed all that out...lol...I actually edited some of it. I thought it read back a bit cocky, which wasn't my intention. Please also bear in mind I get people asking me for gut shots and schematics all the time and there's nothing worse than someone criticizing your work when they expect to see something like the screen cables on every grid and basically a lack of their understanding suddenly becomes a negative towards my build where in reality the person giving the opinion just isn't at the same level of understanding. I get a bit nervous.

I am not sure how the ODR sounds to play in person. But, I can assure you the CA amp block on the Axe FX2 is smoking hot. Probably one, if not the best, rock amp models on the unit. Not sure if this was a realistic modelling of the amp, but if so, I could certainly own the real thing without hesitation.

Steve

Steve: When you say "ODR" model in the A2, are you meaning a model of one (or both) of the OD2R and/or OD3R?

Just got an OD3r a couple of weeks ago and this thing is Killing everything I throw at it. Sounds equally well at gig volume and even when I play at home. One of the cleanest builds I've yet to see and the best clean on the planet.Don't own an AXeFX2, but man I love the real deal when it comes to tube amps. This is my desert island amp. :eek:)

glip22":2iaet0jj said:
Allan, In my post I stated I did not want a pic. You gave me what I asked for exactly. I am very interested in this amp.
Damn....I typed all that out...lol...I actually edited some of it. I thought it read back a bit cocky, which wasn't my intention. Please also bear in mind I get people asking me for gut shots and schematics all the time and there's nothing worse than someone criticizing your work when they expect to see something like the screen cables on every grid and basically a lack of their understanding suddenly becomes a negative towards my build where in reality the person giving the opinion just isn't at the same level of understanding. I get a bit nervous.[/quote]

I think it's a respectable question since CA amps are not cheap like most of the bootique amps we love and play on here.

hey dudes..... just a theoretical here. if you did have a ground loop going on....how could it effect the overall tone of the amp? Can you tell that you have one? Thanks

KamGact":2fkjz1b4 said:
hey dudes..... just a theoretical here. if you did have a ground loop going on....how could it effect the overall tone of the amp? Can you tell that you have one? Thanks

It is a super loud hum and one of the most obvious noise issues you could ever have. No way you wouldn't notice it.

Back