Guitars, Gear, Tone!
It is currently Sun, Dec 16, 2018 10:01pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Master of Puppets
PostPosted: Sat, Apr 07, 2018 11:25am 
Plank Cranker Trainee

Are you human?: 951
Down picking question.

What % is wrist v. elbow? I'm thinking 75% wrist, 25% elbow is what I did as a kid, but as I get older, now 55, the elbow is doing more like 40% on this song. I learned this song the day it came out because I was studying at G.I.T. and we always learned the new songs first back then. I still love to play it. :rock: I wish there were more popular songs coming out like this where the song is so defined you know if you're playing the riff right. Those were the days, I'm happy I got to live in that world!

Post subject: Re: Master of Puppets
PostPosted: Tue, May 29, 2018 9:32pm 
Hack

Its incredibly impressive how they could come up with this stuff back in 1986. I can’t imagine how it must have been to hear that riff from Battery for the first time back then or from the title track afterwards.

My favorite song? a tie between Orion, Battery and Disposable Heroes.

Also The Thing that Should Not Be is very underrated, but I think the live performances of this song are much better than the album version

Post subject: Re: Master of Puppets
PostPosted: Tue, May 29, 2018 10:24pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

Don't know about everyone else, but I'll never forget the first time I heard MoP a few weeks after it came out. Just stood there with my mouth hanging open. About all I can remember thinking is... "WOW"... For the entire album. After it was over, I felt like I could take on the world. Of course, I immediately put it on again... it's still in regular rotation in my playlists.

Favorite is Orion, but not very far behind at all are MoP and Welcome Home. The Thing That Should Not Be was the first song I learned off the album.

Only two other albums ever made me feel like that: Piece of Mind and Powerslave.

You're right, those were the days, and I'm thankful every day that I got to experience that, and lived to tell about it.